Credit Credit Load Withdrawal from the University
Grade Points Summer Session Credit Load Degree Audit
Grade Point Average Enrollment in Courses Number 001-099 Transcripts
Semester Grades Auditing Classes Class Attendance
Mid-Term Grades Pass-Fail System Semester Honor Roll
Change of Grades Program Change (Drop/Add) Academic Status
Registration Name and Address Changes Transfer Policy
Cross-Registration Administrative Drop Policy Credits Allowed by Examination, Extension and Correspondence
Class Standing Incompletes Student Rights
Official Enrollment Repeating a Course  
Academic Policies and Procedures

The unit of credit is the semester hour. It is defined as one class hour per week (or its equivalent) for one semester.

Grade Points
Grade points indicate the quality of work. A C average (2.0) is required for graduation. Grade points are earned in relation to the grade received in a course.

Letter Grade Grade points per Credit

A                    4.000

A-                   3.667

B+                 3.333

B                    3.000

B-                   2.667

C+                   2.333

C                     2.000

C-                   1.667

D+                  1.333

D                     1.000

D-                    .667

F                        0

P (Pass)             0 (Not counted in GPA but credit  is granted)

AUD (Audit)     0 (Not counted in GPA)

F (Failure)         0 (Counted as attempted credit)

I (Incomplete)     0 (Not counted as attempted credit)

W (Withdraw-Passing)         0 (Not counted as attempted credit)

WF (Withdraw-Failing)         0 (Counted as attempted credit)

NR (Grade not reported by instructor) 0 (Not counted as attempted credit)

IP (In Progress) 0 (Not counted as attempted credit)

DP (Progressing in English 101 or 102) 0 (Not counted as attempted credit)

Grade Point Average
The cumulative grade point average (GPA) is based on the grade point system and is computed by dividing the total number of points earned per credit by the total number of credits attempted. Grades of P, I, Aud, W, NR, IP, and DP are not counted as credits attempted in computing GPA.

The cumulative grade point average for a straight A letter grade in six three-credit courses is computed by dividing the total number of grade points (A = four grade points multiplied by 18 credits = 72 grade points) by the number of attempted credits (18 ), which would give the student a cumulative grade point average of 4.000.

Semester Grades
UW-Superior no longer mails grade reports to students. Students may access their grades on their E-Hive account as soon as they are posted after the end of the term. Students on academic probation or suspension are mailed a copy of their transcript along with a letter explaining the policy.

Mid-Term Grades
Students earning a D or F in 100- to 200-level semester-long courses through the middle of the term will receive a mid-semester grade report. The student is encouraged to discuss his or her academic performance with the instructor and/or adviser to determine ways to improve course performance or overall academic progress. Mid-term grades are not issued during summer session.

Change of Grades
It is the student's responsibility to call the instructor's attention to any perceived error in grading as soon as possible after grades are reported. The process must be initiated by the eighth week of the term following the term in which the grade was recorded, excluding summer. It is the instructor's responsibility to correct grading errors by the end of the term following the term in which the error was recorded. The instructor and department chair authorize the change by signing a Change of Grade Form. The department chair will then file it with the Registrar's Office, where the record will be changed and the student notified of the change of grade.

A change in grade after the semester following the semester in which the grading error was recorded may be made only upon approval of the Credits Committee. Requests must be made in writing and must be supported in writing by the instructor and the department chair. These papers are forwarded to the Registrar's Office for presentation to the Credits Committee.

Official dates for regular and evening class registration are available in the Registrar's Office. Information regarding registration procedures and policies will be sent to all new and reentering students and to other interested parties upon request. All inquiries should be directed to the Registrar's Office, Old Main 139.

Full-time undergraduate students (12 credits or more) at UW-Superior can cross-register for two classes per term except summer, at either the University of Minnesota-Duluth or the College of St. Scholastica. UM-Duluth evening courses are not available for cross-registration. Online courses, Extended Degree courses and Continuing Education courses at UW-Superior are not available for cross-registration. Registration forms are available in the Registrar's Office, Old Main 139.

Students need to be aware that cross-registered courses are counted in the total credit load. Additional fees will be charged for credits over 18.

This program enhances the opportunities for the students of the participating institutions to take advantage of the unique strengths and offerings of all, and greatly increases the overall numbers and varieties of the programs which are now available to most students in higher education in our region.

Students wishing to use a cross-registered course to fulfill a degree requirement should get confirmation that the course is acceptable prior to enrollment. Repeating a course taken previously at UW-Superior through cross-registration will not remove the initial UW-Superior grade from the record. For courses in a major, the department chair should authorize the substitution. For general education courses, students should check with the Registrar's Office.

Conditions of cross-registration include the provisions that the course requested must have an opening for the student and that the chair of the department in which the course is offered has given permission for the student to enroll in the course. Students must be enrolled at the home institution as full-time students and maintain those credits for at least the first four weeks of the term.

Class Standing
0 - 27 earned credits = freshman

28 - 55 earned credits = sophomore

56 - 83 earned credits = junior

84+ earned credits = senior

Official Enrollment
Students are officially enrolled only in those courses which appear on the program on file in the Registrar's Office. Faculty will record a grade for each course listed on the official program even if the student does not attend. No grades will be recorded in courses not appearing on the official program.

Credit Load
Refer to the chart on this page to ascertain maximum credit load for undergraduate students. Full-time status is 12-18 semester credits for undergraduate students. Additional fees will be charged for credits over 18 or for online or Extended Degree courses. Class standing is determined by the number of credits earned, not by the number of semesters attended. Students who are in academic difficulty or employed may find it beneficial to take less than a maximum load. This load could be prescribed by their advisor or by the Student Reinstatement Committee.

Students carrying credits in UW-Extension (either UW-Superior or UW-Madison) must include these credits in computing total load.

Summer Session Credit Load
Full-time status or summer school is six to nine credits for undergraduate students. The maximum credit load is 14 credits, including pre- and post-summer session courses. Undergraduates enrolled for more than 12 credits must pay the per credit incremental rate.

The maximum load for graduate students during the summer session is one credit per week of attendance or nine semester credits for a nine-week session.

Enrollment in Courses Numbered 001-099
Students enrolled in English and Mathematics courses numbered 099 or lower will normally not be permitted to enroll for more than 12 credits during that term. Courses numbered 099 or lower are considered remedial courses and do not count toward the 120 credits needed for graduation. New freshman required to take ENGL 099 or MATH 099 must successfully complete remedial coursework before completing 30 semester credits.

Auditing Classes
An auditor may enroll in a course, with the instructor's consent, for which the auditor will receive neither grade nor credit. The student is expected to attend class with regularity, but will not be expected to submit assignments or take examinations. Audited courses do not count toward a degree and can not be converted to credit after the last day to add classes. They do not count in determining credit load. A student's transcript will indicate "Aud" if the instructor determined that the student has attended regularly and warrants an Aud grade. When registering for an audit, indicate "Aud" credits on the program.

See Fees section for information on the costs of auditing courses.

Pass-Fail System
A student is allowed a total of 15 elective Pass-Fail credits, with the exclusion of ENGL 101 and 102. Additional credits identified by the various departments and courses in the student's major may not be taken Pass-Fail. Students in an education curriculum cannot elect COMM 110 on the Pass-Fail system. Students in Business and Economics curriculums and other students who wish to enroll in 300- or 400-level Business or Economics courses may not include courses taken on a Pass-Fail basis when determining their eligibility to enroll in 300- or 400-level Business or Economics courses. Details are specified in the Business and Economics section of this catalog.

Students obtain the Pass-Fail form from the Registrar's Office and must register for Pass-Fail on or before the date specified in the University Calendar. Those students who choose the Pass-Fail option shall not have the opportunity to change their decision. If a student receives a Pass under this system the student may not at a later date repeat that course for a grade.

Students should be aware that it may be difficult to have courses with Pass grades accepted in transfer to another institution of higher education.

Program Change (Drop/Add)
Students may drop from or add courses to their official program on or before the dates indicated in the University Calendar. Students who are required to change sections in a class must initiate this action on a Drop/Add Form.

A change in program is official only when the Drop/Add has been processed in the Registrar's Office.

Name and Address Changes
The Registrar's Office should be notified of a student's name and address changes as soon as possible.

There are three addresses maintained for each student.

The local address is used to contact the student during the academic term. Students living in the residence halls will have their local address automatically updated.

The permanent address establishes residency status and cannot be changed during the term of enrollment if the change is between states. It may be changed within the same state.

A mailing address is used to contact the student between terms and should be used when the permanent address no longer serves as the permanent residence of the student and is in a different state.

Administrative Drop Policy
(Semester-Long Courses Only)
Students who register prior to the first day of class are expected to attend the first meeting of each course. The registration will be forfeited to provide space for other students if the student does not attend the first meeting. In extenuating circumstances where the first day of attendance is not possible, the instructor or department chair may exempt the student from the automatic administrative drop policy. Students need to verify that they have been administratively dropped by examining their class schedule two weeks after the beginning of the term.

A grade of Incomplete (I) may be given by an instructor when a student has been attending and doing passing work for at least 12 weeks of classes but has been prevented by emergency circumstances from completing the course. There should be, in the judgment of the instructor, a reasonable probability that the student can complete the course successfully without again attending regular class sessions.

A grade of Incomplete must be removed by the end of the next semester attended or within one year from the end of the semester in case of non-attendance. If the course work is not completed and the grade not recorded on the final roster within the specified time, the grade will remain an I and cannot be changed.

Repeating a Course
All students repeating a course taken at UW-Superior must complete a Course Repeat Card and submit it with other registration materials.

Undergraduate students may repeat only courses taken at this university in which a grade of C-, D+, D, D-, F, Aud, WF, W, I, IP or DP was earned. These courses can be repeated only at this campus. By repeating courses students may raise their grade point averages. The grade of record is the grade earned in the repeat. Repeating a course through cross-registration will not remove the initial grade from the record.

Withdrawal from the University
A student wishing to withdraw from the university must obtain an Official Withdrawal Form (WF) from the Registrar's Office and return the completed form to that office.

If the Official Withdrawal Form is properly filed in the Registrar's Office by the final date to drop classes, as given in the University Calendar, the courses taken by the student to the date of filing are not shown on the student's transcript.

If the Official Withdrawal Form is filed after the final date to drop classes, the courses are listed on the student's transcripts with a grade of W (withdrew, passing) or a grade of WF (withdrew, failing).

Students should be aware that a WF is counted as attempted credits in calculating grade point average and has the same impact as an F.

The Official Withdrawal Form is not accepted by the Registrar's Office during the scheduled final examinations week. Therefore, the letter grades for each course are recorded on the student's transcript as reported by the instructor on the final grade sheet.

Degree Audit
Degree Audits are available to students on a continuing basis. A signed Degree Audit must be completed by students during their junior year (56-83 semester credits). The signed Degree Audit must be on file in the Registrar's Office the semester before the student registers as a senior (84 or more credits). Failure to do so will result in a hold being placed on the student's registration. This audit includes all coursework that a student must complete to meet the General University, Major, Minor and Graduation Requirements as stated in the student's catalog of entry or exit. The document does not constitute a legal and binding contract between a student at UW-Superior and the university.

The Registrar's Office furnishes transcripts to potential employers, school officials, governmental agencies or to students but ONLY with a Transcript Request Form or a letter containing the student's signature. There is a $5 fee ($10 for rush requests) for each transcript requested that must accompany the request. The request should include: student's name while enrolled, dates of attendance, Social Security number or Student Identification Number (SID), whether graduate or undergraduate transcript, and name and address of person or organization to whom it is to be released. Telephone requests CANNOT be honored. Transcripts cannot be issued if there is money owed the university, or any type of hold on the student's account. Transcript requests are normally processed within 24 hours, except during the last and the first week of each term. Graduating students will receive a transcript with all grades and the degree granted listed, along with the diploma, four to six weeks after the end of their final term.

Class Attendance
Students are expected to attend all classes. Absences from class may be excused only by the instructor. Consult the course syllabus for proper procedures for notifying the instructor in case of emergency.

Semester Honor Roll
To be eligible for a Semester Honor Roll, a student must complete 15 credits for the semester with a minimum grade point average of 3.50.

Academic Status
Students should choose the academic pace that best meets their personal goals; however, successful movement toward goals combined with at least adequate acquisition of academic competence is a responsibility of the student. The following standards have been defined for undergraduate students classified as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, or undergraduate specials.

The policies and regulations listed below define the minimum academic standards of the University. A separate set of standards exist for financial aid and athletic eligibility.

Academic Good Standing
To be eligible to enroll for classes, a student must be considered to be in academic good standing. Students who have been suspended are not considered to be in academic good standing and will be eligible to enroll for classes only after reinstatement. An exception to this policy is made for summer term enrollment. See the following section titled "Academic Suspension."

Academic Probation
Students are placed on academic probation whenever their:

1. Cumulative grade point average drops below 2.0,
2. Semester grade point average is less than 1.66 regardless of the cumulative grade point average.

Students on probation must earn a 2.0 semester grade point average the following semester to remain in good standing. Once the cumulative grade point average goes to 2.0 or above, they are no longer on probation. If students fail to earn a 2.0 semester grade point average, while on probation, they will be suspended.

Whenever students' semester or cumulative grade point average fall below 2.00, the students and their advisors will be notified before the start of the next semester. Students may want to contact their advisors before the beginning of the semester to discuss potential modifications to the next semester's schedule.

Transfer students accepted with less than a 2.00 cumulative grade point average from all previously attended institutions will be admitted on academic probation.

Suspended students readmitted by the Student Reinstatement Committee will be readmitted on academic probation.

Academic Suspension
At the end of each term the university reviews the academic records of all students. Students previously on probation will be suspended if their semester grade point average is less than 2.0.

Students suspended for failure to maintain academic good standing shall be declared ineligible to continue to enroll during any fall or spring term. Suspended students may attend classes during any summer session or J-Term without being reinstated.

Suspended students are required to petition for readmission no matter how long ago the suspension occurred, unless they have raised their cumulative grade point average over 2.0 through summer term enrollment. Petitions for readmission should be filed with the Registrar's Office at least one week before the beginning of the term in which they wish to re-enter.

Students will not be considered for readmission before the lapse of at least one semester unless it can be demonstrated to the Reinstatement Committee that the academic suspension was due to factors beyond the students' control and that the cause for the suspension has been removed. If students have been suspended previously and been readmitted, they will not be eligible to be considered for readmission until a period of one year has elapsed unless they can satisfactorily demonstrate that the cause for suspension has been removed.

Reentry transfer students must furnish official transcripts. Admission, even after the above waiting periods, is not guaranteed. It will be necessary for the students to demonstrate that their studies can be successfully completed.

Personal Appeal
If students' written Petition for Reinstatement are denied, the students have the right to a personal appeal. Students will need to meet with the Reinstatement Committee personally. Students should be aware that a personal appeal must be supported by information and/or documentation over and above what was provided on the written petition, if the appeal is to have a chance to succeed.

Transfer Policy
Course credits from college parallel courses earned in institutions previously attended are recorded on the student's academic record at UW-Superior. Course numbers on the Transfer of Credit Analysis Sheet are converted to UW-Superior course numbers whenever possible. The Credits Committee may take action to award transfer credit for courses for which UW-Superior does not have a comparable department or curricular area, or for which UW-Superior does not have a direct course equivalent. Where appropriate, these credits will apply toward satisfying general education and other degree requirements.

If a specific course number appears in the evaluation, the student should not enroll in that course at UW-Superior. This would result in loss of credit, since duplicate credit for a course is not allowed. Transfer grades are not computed in the grade point average by the university except for those taken as part of the cross-registration program. Grades earned at UW-Superior or through cross-registration are the only ones used in calculating a grade point average except as indicated below.

Grades in transfer courses applying to majors in the Accounting, Business Administration, Computer Information Systems or Economics will be computed to ensure that all students' graduation from a major program meet the same minimum grade point average requirements.

Transfer course grades may be used in determining the eligibility for admission into the Teacher Education Department and for participation in the professional and field experiences within the department.

If the student wants to appeal the transfer analysis, he/she may contact the admissions office before proceeding with academic advising and registration.

In cases where a transfer student has completed a course to meet a General Education requirement at his or her previous institution but which does not meet a requirement at UW-Superior, he or she may petition the Credits Committee to substitute the course for an appropriate specific General Education requirement. It is the responsibility of the student to provide the appropriate documentation such as catalog copy or degree audit from the previous institution to support the request.

The Credits Committee will broadly interpret course substitution requests according to the "Principles of Accommodation." The Credits Committee will accept General Education/liberal arts requirements in the broad academic areas of non-Western and diversity, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and physical sciences, and fine and applied arts. In recognition of the high quality of instruction at all UW institutions and in the interest of best serving students, transfer credit may be awarded by the Credits Committee for courses, curricular areas, and departments which are not offered at UW-Superior. In general the Credits Committee will award maximum credit earned from the transfer institution.

The number of credits earned for a course taken on the quarter system must be multiplied by 2/3 in order to convert to the semester system. Thus a course for three quarter credits would be changed to two semester credits when transferred to UW-Superior.

Coursework equivalent to Freshman English composition must have been completed with a grade of C- or better for the credit to be accepted at UW-Superior. A grade of C- or better in Speech Fundamentals is required for students in an education curriculum.

Credits Allowed By Examination, Extension and Correspondence
A maximum of 40 semester credits earned through any combination of examination, extension courses, and correspondence courses is acceptable toward the baccalaureate degree. Credits earned through University of Wisconsin-Extension Independent Study are exempt from this policy.

Credit by Examination
The university believes students may acquire knowledge and skill competencies through and by experiences which are not necessarily tied to the traditional campus setting. It is the philosophy of this university to allow students credit by examination opportunities in order to broaden students' educational opportunities and accelerate their progress toward completion of degree requirements.

Students transferring to UW-Superior shall have the opportunity to transfer up to 32 semester credits acquired through credit by examination in those courses and disciplines for which credit by examination opportunities are provided at UW-Superior.

Credit by examination can be pursued through two different means:

A. Departmental Examinations

The following guidelines have been established for departmental examinations:

1. Departmental examination opportunities may be available in courses offered for undergraduate credit. Instruction and evaluation are the responsibilities of academic departments. Accordingly, academic departments will designate those courses eligible for departmental examination and will determine the standards, methods, and procedures for course content and credits.

2. Where departmental examination credit is awarded, an appropriate letter grade or Pass will be assigned as determined by the faculty in the department. Credit received through examination will be so noted on transcripts. Courses completed by departmental examination will not be computed in determining students' grade point averages.

3. No entry will be made on a student's transcript except when he or she successfully completes a course according to the requirements for departmental examinations.

4. Students have the opportunity of acquiring up to 32 semester credits by examination, whether by departmental examination or by CLEP/DANTES examination.
5. To have the opportunity for credit by departmental examination, students must make arrangements with the appropriate academic department. Once this has been done, the student must secure an examination form from the Registrar's Office and pay a $20 per course service fee to the Business Office before taking the examination. A receipt showing payment of this fee will be verified by examiners at the time the examination is scheduled.

6. Students will not be allowed to acquire credit by departmental examination in courses in which they already have earned a grade.

7. Students will not be allowed to repeat an examination for credit in a course in which they have previously attempted to gain credit by examination.

8. Academic departments will provide opportunities for departmental examinations during the registration period and the first three weeks of each semester or summer school session. Departmental examination credits must be received in the Registrar's Office no later than the end of the fifth week of the semester to be recorded for that semester.

9. It shall be the responsibility of the department chairs to see that departments develop plans and procedures for credit by departmental examination.

B. CLEP-DANTES Examinations

Students at UW-Superior may receive college credit for passing scores on certain examinations offered by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Educational Support (DANTES). These examinations are offered by appointment only. CLEP tests are offered online only. The following policies and procedures must be followed in receiving credit for CLEP or DANTES:

1. CLEP or DANTES examination credit is awarded only for those course exams approved by UW-Superior faculty.

2. Only students enrolled at UW-Superior may receive credit for CLEP or DANTES examinations. Students who take examinations before actual enrollment at UW-Superior will receive college credit only after enrolling.

3. Students may acquire up to 32 semester credits by examination, whether by departmental examination or CLEP/DANTES examination.

4. Credits awarded at UW-Superior for CLEP/DANTES may or may not be transferable to other institutions. Transfer of credit is at the discretion of the institution to which students are transferring.

5. When successful on a particular examination, students are awarded credit for the course (no grades are awarded). Failure on an exam is not recorded on student records. Students can repeat the examinations six months after the initial examination.

6. Normally, students will not be allowed to gain credit by examination for courses in which they already have earned a grade.

7. Obtain testing registration forms from the testing coordinator, Erlanson Hall, Room 105.

C. Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)

Secondary school students may have participated in the Advanced Placement Program in high school.

1. Credit may be awarded for a score of 3 or above on appropriate examinations.

2. Contact the Admissions Office in Old Main, Room 136.

Credit for Military Experience and Schools
Students who have served in the armed services may receive credit toward graduation for certain specialized training programs completed while in military service. In awarding credit for such technical or specialized training, the recommendations of the American Council on Education are followed:

Students whose length of service was of one year or more are allowed up to six semester credits.

A maximum of 32 semester credits may be allowed for military experience and schools.

Contact the Admissions Office in Old Main, Room 136.

Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges
UW-Superior has been designated an institutional member of the Servicemembers Opportunity College (SOC), a group of more than 400 colleges and universities providing voluntary post-secondary education to members of the military throughout the world. As a SOC member, UW-Superior recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle and has committed itself to easing the transfer of relevant course credits, providing flexible academic residency requirements, and crediting learning from appropriate military training and experiences. SOC has been developed jointly by educational representatives of each of the armed services, the Office of the Secretary of Defense and a consortium of 13 leading national higher education associations; it is sponsored by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) and the American Association of Community and Junior Colleges (AACJC). Contact the Admissions Office in Old Main, Room 136.

Credit for Prior Learning Through Portfolio Assessment
In 1977, UW-Superior approved a policy for granting credit based on prior learning experience. The policy states that to have learning experience evaluated for degree credits, three criteria must be satisfied:

1. What was learned must be related to courses, disciplines, academic areas and/or academic programs at an accredited higher education institution. Allowances of credit must be dependent on the availability of reliable evaluation criteria and expertise. If the learning experiences are not academically related, there is no adequate framework for evaluation.

2. Verification and documentation of what was learned must be presented. If evidence to verify and document the learning experience is not presented, there is no basis for judgement and evaluation.

3. What was learned must be communicated to the appropriate faculty member(s). If what was learned from the experience can not be communicated, then evaluation is impossible. A documented portfolio is prepared by students and evaluated by the faculty. If the faculty members recommend credit and the credit is approved by the university administration, it can be used to fulfill graduation requirements for the baccalaureate degree. Assessment fees are paid at the end of the evaluation and prior to credits recorded on transcript. Fees are based on the number of credits awarded. For more information on assessment guidelines, assessment forms and sample portfolios, contact the Assessment of Prior Learning Coordinator in Erlanson Hall, Room 105.

Student Rights

Rights to Access and Release of Records
Students are entitled to review those educational records maintained by the university which are directly related to them. Except for that information forbidden by the law, the following files and all information contained therein shall constitute students' official educational records at UW-Superior: Registrar's file-Registrar; Graduate file-Director of Graduate Studies; Placement file-Director of Career Center; Financial Aid File-Director of Financial Aids. A written request by students for a review of their records may be filed with the above designated person responsible for a particular portion of the students' records.

Academic and clerical staff employed by the university have access to student educational records which include transcripts, recommendations, evaluation, financial records, petitions, honors, standardized test scores, and correspondence.

Student information shall be released only in accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and the following institutional policy of UW-Superior:

1. All information declared confidential by the Act or excluded from the definition of "educational records" in the Act is unavailable for students' inspection;

2. After reviewing their records, students may request the appropriate office maintaining the record to remove or modify specific information contained in the record which the students believe misleading, inaccurate, or inappropriate;

3. If students' requests are denied, they may insert in the record a written explanation relative to the contents, or they may file in the appropriate office a notice of intent to appeal which will be heard by a student-faculty hearing panel.

Directory Information
Students are notified that the Education Amendments Act of 1974 (Family Educational Rights and Privileges Act of 1974) states that the following information can be considered to be directory information and therefore is available to the public:
1. Name

2. Address

3. Telephone number

4. E-mail address

5. Date of birth

6. Major field of study

7. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports

8. Weight and height of members of athletic teams

9. Dates of attendance

10. Degrees and awards received

11. The most recent previous educational agency or institution attended

Students have the right to inform the university that any or all of the above directory information should not be released without their prior written consent. If students wish to restrict the release of this information, they must complete a written request to that effect and submit it to the Registrar's Office.

Information other than the items listed above will not be released without the student's specific written permission except as provided by law.

Hometown News
UW-Superior routinely reports student achievement to the news media for publication or broadcast. Examples of such reports are those for students graduating, achieving distinction on the dean's list or other academic or extra/co-curricular activity. If you do not wish your information to be released you must complete a written request to restrict that information with the Registrar's Office. See "Directory Information."

Accommodations of Religious Beliefs
UWS 22.01 DECLARATION OF POLICY. It is the policy of the Board of Regents that students' sincerely held religious beliefs shall be reasonably accommodated with respect to scheduling all examinations and other academic requirements. The Board of Regents adopts this chapter in order to ensure that all institutions of the University of Wisconsin system have in place appropriate mechanisms for ensuring the reasonable accommodation of student's sincerely held religious beliefs, and for appeals related to these matters.


1. A student shall be permitted to make up an examination or other academic requirement at another time or by an alternative method, without any prejudicial effect, where:
a. There is a scheduling conflict between the student's sincerely held religious beliefs and taking the examination or meeting the academic requirements; and

b. The student has notified the instructor, within the first three weeks of the beginning of classes (within the first week of summer session and short courses) of the specific days or dates on which he or she will request relief from an examination or academic requirement.

2. Instructors may schedule a make-up examination or course requirement before or after their regularly scheduled examination or other academic requirement.

3. Instructors shall accept, at face value, the sincerity of students' religious beliefs.

Safety and Health Policy
The University of Wisconsin System will provide and maintain adequate facilities for a safe and healthy learning environment. It is the university's responsibility to work with faculty and staff so that they are equipped to educate their students on practices and procedures that ensure safety for all members of the University. Employees with instructional responsibilities are expected to comply with state and federal safety laws and regulations in their institutional areas.

Certain courses and research projects require that the students work with hazardous materials while engaging in academic studies. Instructors of these courses and research projects shall inform and train students on procedures that will maintain the students' personal health and safety and provide them with information on the hazards of specific chemicals that will be used during their course of study. Furthermore, instructors will enforce and follow safety policies. Prior to use of hazardous materials and equipment, the student shall review the procedures and information, and discuss any associated concerns with the instructor.

Access to Public Records
The Archivist has been designated by the Chancellor as the custodian of all public records maintained at UW-Superior. The normal office hours are 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Requests for records should be made directly to the designated custodian during normal office hours or by mail addressed to Laura Jacobs, Jim Dan Hill Library, University of Wisconsin-Superior, (715) 394-8343. Records which are readily available will be provided promptly.

If an extensive search is required, the person making the request will be notified of costs when they reach a level of $50 or more. Copying charges are 5 cents per page. If copies of records are to be mailed mailing, processing and copying charges will be made. Should the total charge exceed $5, the charges must be prepaid.

Use and Disclosure of Social Security Number
Federal law (20 U.S.C., Section 12-32g.) allows the UW System to request and use the Social Security number for routine record keeping and institutional statistics. It may be used in connection with necessary billing and collection efforts which may include disclosure to federal, state, or local agencies; to private parties such as relative, present and former employers, business and personal associates; to guarantee agencies; to educational and financial institutions; to credit bureaus and collection agencies and to agency contractors in order to verify your identity, determine program eligibility and benefits, permit servicing or collecting of a debt, enforce the conditions or terms of a debt, counsel you in repayment efforts, investigate possible fraud and verify compliance with any relevant program regulations, and locate you in the event you become delinquent in the repayment of a debt.

If you intend to apply for financial aid, the Social Security number is required. As applied to financial aid, it may be used for a number of purposes, including verification of the identity of the borrower or recipient and as an account number throughout the life of a loan; determination of program eligibility; certification of enrollment and student status; determination of eligibility for deferment, cancellation or repayment by third parties; determination of eligibility for disability or death claim; and -- in cases of delinquent or defaulted loans -- for tracing the borrower and collecting.

Use and Disclosure of Racial/Ethnic Information
The U.S. Department of Education requires the university to report the number of students in various racial/ethnic categories. Your cooperation in furnishing accurate information is appreciated.

Racial/ethnic heritage information will be treated as confidential and will not appear on academic records, grade reports, class lists or transcripts. Individual student racial/ethnic information will not be supplied to persons outside the UW System, unless the student gives prior written consent. Within the university system, individual student racial/ethnic information will be released only by approval of the Chancellor or a designee of the Chancellor.

Use and Disclosure of Disability Information
In accordance with federal law, "The information requested will be used solely in connection with the UW System's remedial action obligations or its voluntary action efforts; ... the information is being requested on a voluntary basis and will be kept confidential; ... refusal to provide it will not subject the applicant to any adverse treatment and ... it will be used only in accordance with this part." Release of group disability information will be controlled by a University policy concerning release of student information.