Advance Admission for Selected High School Students
Youth Options
Special Adult Students
Transfer or Advanced Standing Students
Advanced Placement
International Students
Admission to UW-Superior

The University of Wisconsin-Superior welcomes all students who meet entrance standards. UW-Superior strives to create a campus community that reflects the diversity of our country. We encourage students of color and others from traditionally underrepresented groups to consider joining us. Students are admitted without regard to race, color, creed, disability, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital or parental status, national origin, sex or religion. Discrimination on the basis of any of these categories will not be tolerated.

Students planning to apply for admission should do so early in their senior year of high school. Non-traditional students and transfer students should apply well in advance of the semester they wish to begin at UW-Superior.

Complete information and the necessary application forms may be obtained by contacting the Admissions Office at the address below:

Admissions Office
University of Wisconsin-Superior
Belknap & Catlin
PO Box 2000
Superior, WI 54880-2898

Phone: (715) 394-8230

E-mail: admissions@uwsuper.edu

Apply online
Apply online or download an application at www.uwsuper.edu/admissions or at apply.wisconsin.edu

Visit our campus
We encourage prospective students to visit our campus. To arrange a tour, contact our Admissions Office by telephone or by e-mail. You also can visit UW-Superior on the web at www.uwsuper.edu/admissions.

Admissions categories:
Admissions requirements vary for different types of students. Here's a list of the different kinds of undergraduate students we enroll. Find the category that describes you, then use the admissions information under that category in this portion of the catalog.

Freshmen: Graduates of high schools in the United States who have not attended another university, technical college or other school after high school.

Advanced Admission for Selected High School Seniors: High school juniors and seniors who meet UW-Superior requirements to take courses for audit or credit.

Youth Options: High school juniors and seniors who meet UW-Superior requirements to take courses through the Wisconsin Youth Options Program. Tuition and fees are paid by the studentís school district.

Special Adult Students: Anyone taking courses at UW-Superior but not seeking a degree.

Transfer or Advanced Standing Students: Students transferring to UW-Superior from accredited universities or colleges with 12 or more credits. Applicants with fewer than 12 transferrable credits must submit high school transcripts.

Advanced Placement: High school seniors who have completed college-level courses through the College Entrance Examination Board's Advanced Placement Programs.

International Students: Anyone seeking to enroll as a freshman or transfer student who is not a citizen or immigrant (permanent resident) of the United States.

Extended Degree: Anyone who wants to pursue a bachelor's degree from their home. Applicants work through the Extended Degree Program and must be admitted to the university. For more information, the section of this catalog titled Distance Learning

Graduate Students: See the Graduate Studies portion of this catalog.


Admissions Requirements
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum requirements to be considered for admission:

I. Graduation from a recognized high school or equivalent

A. A recognized high school is one which is:

1. Operated by a public school district.

2. A private school accredited by an association certified by the U.S. Department of Education to accredit private schools, and whose names appear in the Federal Register as an accreditation association.

3. A private school that's not accredited but which may be recognized by an institution in the UW System, based on the performance of previously admitted graduates from that high school.

B. An applicant who has not graduated from a recognized high school must provide evidence of ability to begin college work. Such evidence may include General Education Development test scores or a high school equivalency examination or other established criteria, transcripts of coursework completed in high school, high school rank-in-class before leaving, written recommendations, ACT/SAT scores, or other evidence deemed appropriate. High school equivalence applicants may not normally be enrolled unless they are a minimum of two years past their expected date of high school graduation.

C. Home-school students will be considered for admission based on a complete review of their curriculum, test scores and other evidence that can be used to demonstrate their preparedness for college-level work.

II. College preparatory credits
Applicants must have taken a minimum of 17 high school credits in the following pattern. (A high school credit represents a norm of five class periods per week in one field of study for a school year of 36 weeks.)

13 - College Preparatory Credits:
4 - English: including three credits of literature and composition

3 - Mathematics: algebra, geometry and higher

3 - Social Science/History

3 - Natural Science

4 - Other Electives: Chosen from the above areas, foreign language, fine arts, computer science and other academic and vocational areas.

Students admitted on the basis of an equivalency certificate diploma or GED examination shall be considered to have fulfilled these minimum requirements.

III. Evaluation criteria
Students will be deemed admissible if they have met the previously listed requirements for admission and:

A. Rank in the top half of their high school graduating class and have an ACT score of 21 or higher (SAT 990)


B. Present an ACT score of 23 or higher


C. Rank in the top third of their high school graduation class.

Students who satisfy only one of the requirements in item A may be admitted to the university upon review of their application file. Students who do not meet these criteria who wish to submit alternative evidence of qualifications may apply and will be considered for admission on an individual basis. Applicants may be required to submit letters of recommendation and/or arrange an interview with the Admissions Office.

IV. Other considerations:
A. Special consideration will be given to applicants who:

1. Are 21 years of age prior to enrollment date.

2. Are service veterans with at least 180 days of active duty.

3. Are educationally or economically disadvantaged.

4. Achieve a GED total score of 250 points

B. Requirements for out-of-state students will be the same as those for Wisconsin residents. Additional admission criteria will be required of international students.

Application Procedures

Students applying to enter the university as freshmen should submit the following to the Admissions Office after September 15. Contact the Admissions Office for application deadlines. Early application is recommended due to enrollment limitations.

1. A completed UW System application for admission.

2. A $35 nonrefundable application fee payable to UW-Superior.

3. An official transcript of all high school credit completed. Students who have not graduated at the time of application should arrange to have the high school forward a final transcript.

4. Scores from the American College Test (ACT) or from the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Submission of the ACT/SAT results is optional for applicants age 20 or older.

5. Results of the Wisconsin English Placement Test and the Mathematics Placement Test must be sent before enrolling. These tests generally are administered during April and May. Most UW institutions are test sites. The Admissions Office will inform admitted students when and where they may take these tests.

6. Applicants who wish to be admitted on the basis of high school equivalency must submit official documents such as the Certificate of General Education Development (GED) or other appropriate certificate. Include an official transcript of GED scores.

Advanced Admission for Selected High School Students

Admissions Requirements
Selected high school students who meet university requirements may be accepted to take courses for audit or credit. These students may pursue their university academic work during summer session or the regular academic year.

High school juniors and seniors may be admitted and enrolled for credit if:

1. They apply for admission on standard University forms.

2. They rank in the upper half of their high school class.

3. There is room for them in the class.

For purposes of admission to the university or academic standing, advanced admission high school students shall be exempt from UW-Superior's academic suspension regulations. However, credits and grades will be averaged into the student's grade point average after one term of University attendance.

Application Procedures
High school students who meet the requirements for enrollment at the University prior to high school graduation may apply by submitting the following:

1. Students who want to earn college credit must submit:

A. A completed UW System application for admission. This is available from any Wisconsin high school counselor.

B. A high school transcript. ACT or SAT are requested as well.

C. A letter of recommendation, on high school stationery, from either the principal or counselor.

2. Students who wish to enroll as audit students (no college credit) must submit:
A. A completed UW System application for admission.

B. A high school transcript. ACT or SAT scores are requested, as well.

Youth Options

Admissions Requirements
The Youth Options program enables Wisconsin high school juniors and seniors to enroll in one or more courses at an institution of higher education in Wisconsin. School districts are required to pay the cost of tuition, books and fees and to determine whether the course satisfies state graduation and high school credit requirements.

UW-Superior welcomes Youth Options students and will attempt to accommodate them if they meet admission requirements and if there is space available in the desired courses. School district approval as a Youth Option student will not guarantee admission to UW-Superior or enrollment in desired courses.

Application Procedures
To be considered for admission as a Youth Options student, applicants must submit to the Admission Office the following:

1. A completed UW System application for admission. This is available from any Wisconsin high school counselor.

2. An official transcript of all high school credit completed as of the end of the prior semester. This transcript should indicate current class rank. Results of the ACT are desirable, but not mandatory.

3. A letter of recommendation, on high school stationery, from either the principal or counselor.

4. A brief statement describing the studentís reasons for enrolling in the Youth Options Program and a list of courses the student would like to take at UW-Superior.

Admission to UW-Superior as a Youth Options student is subject to course, program and institutional enrollment limits, and to admission requirements as authorized by the Board of Regents. Generally, a Youth Options student must be ranked in the upper half of his or her class to be considered for admission. Admission to UW-Superior as a Youth Options student will not guarantee availability of space in any desired course.

Youth Options applicants should do one of the following:

1. Course enrollment priority will be given to UW-Superior's degree-seeking students.

2. If admitted to UW-Superior, the Admissions Office will inform Youth Options students when and where they should report to register for classes. Before registering for university courses, Youth Options students must submit proof that the proposed coursework has been approved by the school administration.

3. It is the student's responsibility to make the appropriate arrangements to pay for tuition, fees and course materials. Tuition and fees shall be assessed according to institutional policies in regard to withdrawal, dropping a course, late fees, and refunds.

4. Youth Options students will be subject to UW-Superior codes of conduct and academic policies.

5. All coursework taken by Youth Options students will be recorded and transcripted as post-secondary credit. It is the responsibility of the student and the school board to determine whether the coursework may also satisfy high school credit requirements.

6. Course selection is dependent upon appropriate high school preparation, course prerequisites and, in some cases, consent of the instructor.

Special Adult Students

Admission Requirements
Special Adult Students may take university courses without being admitted as degree-seeking students. This is useful for high school students starting early on college coursework and adults seeking specific credits to advance their careers, earn teacher certification, or gain personal enrichment.

To be admitted as a special adult student, an applicant must be a current high school junior or senior, a high school graduate, or the holder of a GED.

Special adult students should be aware that they:

1. In most instances, cannot qualify for financial aid.

2. Cannot compete in intercollegiate athletics.

3. Can earn up to 29 semester credits under this classification.

4. Can apply appropriate credits earned toward a degree.

5. Pay the same tuition and fees as a degree-seeking student.

Changing from special adult to degree-seeking status:
Special adults who did not meet the university's admission criteria when they initially applied must earn a minimum of 12 credits at UW-Superior (excluding credits in courses below the 100 level) in good academic standing to be considered for admission as degree-seeking students. In addition, the 12 credits must include one course from the core requirements and one course each from two knowledge categories identified in the general education requirements.

Special adults who elected to enter the institution as nondegree-seeking students but who would have met the admissions criteria may be changed to degree-seeking upon completion of items 1 through 5 below.

Superior English as a Second Language (SESLI) students enrolled for university credit as special adult students may be admitted to degree-seeking status if they were admissible in every other way except for English ability upon acceptance to SESLI; they have received certification of English Proficiency from SESLI; and they complete items in 1 through 5 below.

Students who enter the university as a special adult student may remain in that classification until they earn a maximum of 29 semester credits. If they choose to become degree-seeking students or they reach the maximum 29 credits they must:

1. Complete a standard admissions application form (if they have not previously done so).

2. Pay the $35 admission fee.

3. Have a 2.0 grade point average or higher.

4. Submit a high school transcript and information related to high school percentile rank.

5. If students are under 20 years of age at the time they convert, they must submit an ACT score if they are a Wisconsin resident. Nonresidents may submit an SAT or ACT score.

High school students enrolled as special adult students should contact the Admissions Office for further information if they want to change their status to a degree-seeking student.

Application Procedures
High school students must complete a UW System application for admission and return that to the Admissions Office along with a high school transcript and a letter of recommendation from their high school counselor or principal.

Other applicants seeking to enroll as a special adult student must complete a UW-Superior Special Adult Student Application and return it to the Admissions Office. There is no application fee.

Transfer or Advanced Standing Students

Admissions Requirements
Students transferring to UW-Superior from accredited college parallel programs, colleges or universities with 12 or more earned credits and a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better will be admitted in good standing. Some academic majors require higher grade point averages to be admitted into their programs.

Transfer applicants with 12 or more credits with less than a 2.0 average may be admitted on probation if their previous collegiate record meets the requirement of Standards for Academic Good Standing at UW-Superior and if they would have originally qualified for admission as freshmen at UW-Superior. Transfer applicants with fewer than 12 earned credits may be admitted if they would have originally qualified for admission as a freshman at UW-Superior.

Meeting General Education requirements
The UW-Superior lower-division General Education requirements are considered satisfied for those students who have earned an associate degree from a University of Wisconsin System institution.

UW-Superior's lower-division General Education requirements are considered satisfied for students who have earned an associate degree from the following institutions if the pertinent course stipulations are met within the framework of the associate degree. Contact our Admissions Office or the Community College Transfer Advisor for more information regarding articulation agreements which list specific courses which must be taken with the associate degree.

- Cambridge Community College
- Central Lakes College
- Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College
- Gogebic Community College
- Hibbing Community College
- Itasca Community College
- Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College
- Lake Superior College - Mesabi Community College
- Nicolet Area Technical College
- Northland Community College
- Rainy River Community College
- Rochester Community College
- Vermilion Community College
UW-Superior also offers program-to-program articulation agreements for students who have graduated from Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College with degrees in accounting, administrative assistant or microcomputer specialist. An articulation agreement also exists for Accounting graduates from Lake Superior College.

Credit for military training
Students who have served one year or more of active duty in the armed services may receive credit toward graduation for certain specialized training programs completed while in military service. In awarding credit for such technical or specialized training, we follow the recommendations of the American Council on Education.

Selecting a catalog of entry
Transfer students may select the pertinent catalog of entry at UW-Superior which corresponds with the start of the academic year at their previous institution. The maximum time between a catalog of entry and a catalog of exit is seven years. A maximum of 72 semester credits may be transferred to UW-Superior from any one or combination of two-year colleges.

Evaluating credits
An official evaluation of credits will be made and forwarded to the transfer applicant when their application form, application fee, and all transcripts have been received by the Admissions Office. Transfer analysis will be based only on official transcripts received directly from the transfer institution, not from student copy.

Credits with a grade of D- or better earned at accredited college parallel programs, colleges, or universities will transfer except in freshman English, ENGL 101 and ENGL 102.

Teacher Education majors must earn a C in COMM 110 or its equivalent.

Application Procedures
Students applying for admission as transfer students must submit to the university:

1. A completed UW System application for admission.

2. A $35 nonrefundable fee payable to UW-Superior. (This fee is waived if the applicant has attended a UW System campus as a degree seeking student).

3. Official transcripts from each college or university previously attended.

4. Official high school transcripts if the applicant has completed fewer than 12 credits at another college or university.

Advanced Placement

High School seniors who have completed college-level courses through the College Board's Advanced Placement Programs may take the appropriate examination administered by the Educational Testing Service and have their scores, test papers and reports sent to UW-Superior. The university has approved the granting of credit for Advanced Placement in a number of areas. Further information is available from the Admissions Office.

International Students

Admissions Requirements
Applicants who are not citizens or immigrants (permanent residents) of the United States may enroll as freshmen, transfer (advanced standing), or graduate students.

Freshmen and transfer applicants should refer to the Admissions Requirements under those categories in this section of the catalog.

Graduate applicants should refer to the Graduate Studies portion of this catalog.

Application Procedures

International students who wish to enroll as freshmen or transfer (advanced standing) students must submit the following:

1. A completed UW-Superior application for admission for international students. This special application includes financial information which must be certified. Students can apply online or download an application at: www.uwsuper.edu/admissions/ or at apply.wisconsin.edu.

2. A nonrefundable $35 application fee payable to UW- Superior.

3. Original or officially certified copies of all grade reports for all secondary and higher school studies. Also, original or officially certified copies of all academic diplomas, certificates, and national or other major exam results.

4. Official records must be submitted in their native language and must be accompanied by an official English translation. Official records should be sent to the UW-Superior International Student Services Office directly from the institution or examining board.

5. Verification of English language proficiency with an official TOEFL score of 525 (CBT 193) or successful completion of the Wisconsin English Second Language Institute Program. Students with a TOEFL score above 500 (CBT 173) can be admitted but will be required to enroll part time in English as a Second Language courses. Students who do not provide such verification will be tested upon arrival and may be required to enroll full time or part time in English as a Second Language courses.

6. Before enrollment, freshman and transfer students who have not taken a mathematics or English course at an accredited U.S. institution must submit test scores equivalent to the UW-Superior General Education requirement for the mathematics and English placement tests.