Graduate Studies

Degrees Granted

Master of Arts (M.A.)
M.A. degree programs are offered in Visual Arts and Communicating Arts.

Master of Science in Education (M.S.E.)
M.S.E. degree programs are offered in Educational Administration, Guidance and Counseling, Instruction, Reading, and Special Education.

Specialist in Education (Ed.S.)
The Ed.S. degree program is offered in Educational Administration.

From its beginning in 1896 until 1947, the campus in Superior was an undergraduate teacher preparatory institution. In 1947 the legislature granted what was then Superior State Teachers College the right to broaden its offerings to include baccalaureate degrees in the liberal arts.

Three years later, the Board of Regents authorized the first of Superior's graduate degrees: a Master of Education Degree in School Administration, which offered its first courses in the 1950 summer session. Superior was the first of the state teachers colleges in Wisconsin to offer a liberal arts degree and later was the first of that group to offer a post-masters specialist degree. A Master of Science in Teaching followed in 1958, the Specialist in Education (Ed.S) was authorized and implemented in 1965, and the two master of arts degrees began in 1969.

Based on these legislative actions and specific approvals of the Board of Regents, the University of Wisconsin-Superior now offers eight graduate degree programs: the Ed.S. degree in educational administration; the M.S.E. degrees in educational administration, guidance and counseling, instruction, reading, and special education; and the M.A. degrees in visual arts and communicating arts.

UW-Superior is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. All graduate programs culminating in a state certificate have been approved by the Wisconsin State Department of Public Instruction. The M.S.E. in Counseling is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Programs (CACREP). The university holds institutional membership in the American Association of Higher Education, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, and the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges.

Graduate Faculty
The Graduate Faculty is the community of scholars responsible for creating the academic climate for graduate study by teaching graduate courses, stimulating and conducting research, and advising individual graduate students. The Graduate Faculty serves as the legislative body for the graduate programs, acting within the limits of policies of the State of Wisconsin and the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents. Members of the Graduate Faculty are identified in the faculty and staff section of this catalog.

Graduate Council
The Graduate Council is the policy-making body for graduate studies and acts for the Graduate Faculty in the operation of the graduate programs. The Graduate Council is responsible to the Graduate Faculty, and includes as members representatives of the Graduate Faculty by academic degree program, a secretary elected from and by the Graduate Faculty, the Dean of Faculties and the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

Admission Procedures
Admission to the Graduate Programs may be initiated by contacting the Office of Graduate Studies for application materials. Applicants must:

1. Submit a completed application to the Dean of Faculties.

To receive an application, call the Graduate Studies Office at (715) 394-8295 or contact the office by e-mail at gradstudy@uwsuper.edu. You can apply online at
www.uwsuper.edu/admissions or http://apply.wisconsin.edu

2. Request that two official transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate work be sent to the Graduate Studies Office directly from the institutions previously attended.

3. Attach a nonrefundable application fee of $45 payable to the University of Wisconsin-Superior.

4. Submit other application materials required by specific programs.

All application forms and transcripts should be submitted in advance of registration to ensure time for processing. Recommended dates for submission of application materials are April 1 for summer or fall terms and October 15 for the spring term. Students will be admitted under the policies of the current General Catalog. Any student who applies and is admitted but does not attend the university within a one-year period must reapply for admission and must comply with the admission requirements of the current Graduate Section of the University Catalog.

Decisions relating to admission are governed by university policy and administered by the Dean of Faculties. Admission to a specific graduate program rests with the faculty advisors and departments.

A student admitted unconditionally to a graduate degree program must meet both the requirements of the individual graduate program and the following Graduate Studies requirements:

1. The applicant holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.

2. An undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.75 (four-point scale) or a 2.90 grade point average in the last half of the undergraduate program. Work from all colleges attended will be counted in the grade point average.

3. An appropriate undergraduate major or equivalent evidence of suitable background for entering the individual graduate program.

4. All necessary papers and information to have been filed with the Graduate Studies Office.

Probational admission to graduate study may be granted if:
1. The applicant holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.

2. The applicant has an undergraduate grade point average greater than 2.25 (four-point scale.)

3. Probationary graduate students may be admitted unconditionally when the faculty advisor provides the Dean of Faculties with substantial evidence that the student has the potential for doing satisfactory graduate work. Such evidence may or may not include:

a. A grade of B or better average in the first 8-10 semester hours of graduate work selected by the faculty advisor (work may count toward degree.)

b. Unusual achievements as attested by letters of recommendation.

c. Other evidence as deemed important by the faculty advisor.

4. An appropriate undergraduate major or equivalent evidence of suitable background for entering the individual program.

5. All necessary papers and information to have been filed with the Graduate Studies Office.

An applicant who is not eligible for admission due to an undergraduate grade point average of less than 2.25 has the right to initiate a petition to the Graduate Council requesting probational admission. Such a petition should include documentation of the applicant's ability to perform satisfactorily at the graduate level. Petitions require concurrence by the program coordinator and department chair.

Any student who is not eligible for unconditional admission by the completion of 10 semester hours of work will be denied enrollment in Graduate Studies.

Special Adult
A special adult student may be allowed to enroll in graduate courses if:

1. The applicant holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. If official transcripts subsequently show that the applicant had not graduated prior to taking graduate level courses and had not obtained prior permission from the Graduate Council to take those courses, the credits taken will be removed from the official UW-Superior graduate transcript.

2. The applicant does not wish to pursue a degree or certification program at this university. A maximum of 10 semester credits taken as a Special Adult student may be applied to a degree or certification program.

3. Special adult students will not be required to pay the $45 application fee. The applicant makes application through the Graduate Studies Office.

Certification in Professional Education
Individuals seeking UW-Superior approval for certification in professional education through the graduate programs must apply for admission (see Admission Procedures) and must also submit a copy of their current teaching license. No more than 10 semester credits earned before being admitted to Graduate Studies may be applied toward graduate level certification programs in professional education.

Admission to a certification program at the graduate level, either as part of a degree program or separately from a degree program, may be denied or withdrawn if there is evidence that the applicant does not meet the standards, as defined by Chapter PI 3.045 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code for the Department of Public Instruction (March 1987) regarding conduct which may endanger the health, welfare, safety or education of any pupil.

International Student Admission
Qualified international students are welcome to enroll in graduate degree programs at UW-Superior. In order to be admitted, the following information must be submitted to the Graduate Studies Office:

1. Completed Graduate Studies Application for Admission form. Apply online at www.uwsuper.edu/admissions or at apply.wisconsin.edu.

2. Two copies of all transcripts, certificates and examination results from secondary and postsecondary schools with official stamp and signature. These documents must be sent directly to the Graduate Studies Office by the institution (school) issuing them. Transcripts will not be accepted from students. English translations, duly certified, must also be sent.

3. A statement or certificate indicating English language proficiency. A score of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is recommended. Specific departments may require higher scores and may also require the Test of Spoken English (TSE). Any deviation from these standards must be approved in advance by the appropriate faculty advisor and the Dean of Faculties.

4. Documented evidence of financial stability for two years. This should include proof of financial resources indicating stipend and source and/or a bank statement bearing the official bank seal indicating the amount of money available for study in the United States for at least two years. U.S. consular offices often require that money be deposited in U.S. currency in the university's business office before visas are issued. Care must be taken that all statements of support are thoroughly documented. This documented evidence must be submitted with the application for admission. Verification from a local bank that money is on deposit for use during residency in the United States is acceptable at the time of application. Students should not rely on financial assistance in the form of part-time work on campus as such employment cannot be guaranteed. Some international graduate students may be awarded
nonresident tuition waivers, which waive the nonresident portion of tuition, and allow the student to pay Wisconsin resident tuition. Information regarding nonresident tuition waivers may be obtained from the director of financial aid, the international student advisor or the Dean of Faculties.

5. A $45 nonrefundable application fee in U.S. dollars made payable to the University of Wisconsin-Superior.

6. All required documents for admission must be on file with the Graduate Studies Office by April 1 for the fall semester, by September 1 for the spring semester, and by February 1 for
the summer session.

Faculty Advisement
Assignment of an advisor is made by the appropriate faculty coordinator for the graduate program when the student is admitted. The faculty advisor will study the student's abilities and
needs, help plan the program and may supervise the thesis, project or writing requirement.

Registration and Student Identification
Advanced registration for each term will open and close according to the dates printed in the Class Schedule. Kits for advanced registration may be requested from the Graduate Studies Office. The kits contain materials and instructions necessary to complete registration. Students should meet with their advisors before registration.

After registration and payment of fees, obtain a student identification card at Rothwell Student Center. If you already hold an ID card, the Cashier's Office will validate it for the current term. Several benefits are available to those who hold a current ID card. For example, students can check out materials from the Jim Dan Hill Library, open a student computer account, use the Clough Gates Physical Education Building, and obtain discounts at many university-sponsored events.

Graduate Studies Policies

Student Responsibility
It is the responsibility of students to be informed and to follow all Graduate Studies policies and degree program requirements as well as any specific requirements of the major program. Therefore, it is important that all students carefully read this section of the university catalog. Ignorance of any policy or requirement does not constitute a valid excuse for noncompliance.

Academic Integrity
Graduate students are expected to maintain academic integrity in meeting the requirements for a graduate degree. Evidence of academic misconduct may result in certain sanctions, such as failure in a course or dismissal from Graduate Studies. Chapter 14 UW-Superior Student Academic Disciplinary Procedures of the Wisconsin Administrative Code for the University of Wisconsin System outlines the procedures for identifying academic misconduct and the appropriate sanctions.

Students normally use the catalog requirements in force at the term of their official admission (except for mandatory legal changes). With their advisor's approval, students may designate a different catalog year for requirements, which shall not be more than seven years old at the date of graduation.

Seven-Year Limit
ll credits used in meeting the requirements of a graduate degree or certification in professional education must be earned within a period of not more than seven consecutive years, commencing with the enrollment date in courses applicable to the degree (or certification program) rather than the completion date of applicable courses. This limit applies to resident credit courses, Extension courses, and courses taken at other universities. Waiver of the seven-year limit for specific courses may be allowed, up to a maximum of nine semester credits, upon petition to the Graduate Council, but the seven-year limit will not be waived for any course taken 10 or more years before the degree (or certification program) completion date. Petitions to the Graduate Council must specify the anticipated graduation date. Only graduate credits earned within seven years prior to the date of admission will be considered in determining admission status.

Minimum Credit Requirement
A minimum of 30-48 graduate credits is required for the master's degrees. At least half the required minimum number of credits should be taken in courses which are open to graduate students only (numbered 700-899).

Undergraduate Seniors
Second-semester UW-Superior seniors, with approval of the Graduate Council, may take a maximum of six graduate semester credits in courses numbered 500 to 699 during their final semester, subject to certain provisions. The graduate credits must be beyond those required for the baccalaureate degree, and cannot count toward the baccalaureate degree. Permission to enroll for the graduate credits requires approval of the Graduate Council, obtained by means of a petition during the prior semester. Seniors seeking this privilege must meet the grade point average required for unconditional admission to Graduate Studies. Undergraduate academic fees will be charged for these six graduate credits. After completion of an undergraduate degree, these graduate credits will be entered on the student's graduate transcripts.

Special Adults
A maximum of 10 semester credits taken as a special adult student may be applied to a degree or certification program.

Transfer Credit
A student who is admitted may transfer a maximum of 14 semester credits from other institutions accredited to offer graduate programs provided the transfer credit is appropriate to the degree being undertaken. No credit below a grade of B will transfer and no credit will be allowed for correspondence work, undergraduate work, work completed more than seven years before the expected degree, or work used to complete another degree. Students who wish to transfer credit from another accredited institution must:

1. Have two official transcripts sent to the Graduate Studies Office.

2. Complete a Transfer Credit Request form.

Each course transferred must have approval of the Dean of Faculties and the student's faculty advisor. If there is a question regarding validity of the graduate credits, the student must furnish the Graduate Studies Office with appropriate documentation that the courses were taken for graduate credit. Transfer Credit Request forms are available in the Graduate Studies Office.

Residency Requirement
A minimum of 16 semester hours of residence credit must be completed, eight of which must be earned on campus at UW-Superior.

Credit Load, Academic Year and Summer
The minimum full-time credit load for a graduate student is nine credits per semester. The maximum load for a graduate student is 15 credits per semester. It is desirable for a student who wishes to complete the requirements for the master's degree without interruption to spend two consecutive semesters plus a summer session. The maximum load includes undergraduate classes and extension classes. It is expected that one graduate credit should require at least 48 hours of work from the student. Within this general guideline, graduate students may enroll for a maximum of 12 credits in courses which occur during various summer dates between the end of the spring term and before the beginning of the fall term.

Numbering System
Courses numbered 500-599 are junior courses open to graduate students. Courses numbered 600-699 are senior courses open to graduate students. In courses numbered 500-599 and 600-699, graduate students must fulfill additional course requirements beyond those required for undergraduate students. These additional course requirements are established by the course instructor. Courses numbered 700-799 are open to graduate students only. Courses numbered 800-899 are open to post-masters students. Master's candidates are permitted to register for courses numbered 800-899 only with the consent of their advisor and the instructor. Course requirements for courses numbered 500-599, 600-699, 700-799, and 800-899 are approved by the Graduate Council.

Grading System
The grading system for courses open to graduate students is the same as for undergraduates. However, no grade below C- carries graduate credit and 3.00 grade point average in resident work is required for graduation. The grade IP may only be given in courses not normally completed in one semester, such as a thesis, practicum or internship. An IP grade may be changed to a letter grade any time at the discretion of the instructor up to a maximum of seven years from the beginning of the course. Conversely, the grade I should be given in courses which are normally completed within the framework of one semester, such as regularly scheduled classes. A grade of incomplete must be completed by the end of the next semester (for full-time students) or within one year from the end of the term in case of nonattendance or part-time attendance.

Course Repeat
No graduate student will be allowed to repeat more than one graduate course taken at UW-Superior for which he or she has received a mark other than a W or an I. The last grade earned is the grade of record. All course repeats must be repeated on the UW-Superior campus or through the University of Wisconsin Extension.

No Credit By Examination
Graduate credit will not be awarded through the mechanism of credit by examination. Any student desiring to have completed graduate coursework entered on the official transcript shall be required to officially enroll in the course, complete all graduate course requirements and have a grade officially recorded by the graduate faculty member of record.

Workshops at the graduate level may be offered each term. A student may use a maximum of eight semester hours of workshops toward the degree. Workshop credit must be appropriate to the degree program.

Admission to Candidacy
Application for admission to candidacy for the master's degree is required when the student has completed between eight and 16 credits of graduate work. This application and a tentative program of studies, formulated by the student in conference with the faculty advisor, must be filed in the Graduate Studies Office. Final approval will be made by the secretary of the Graduate Council and the Dean of Faculties. At least eight semester hours of credit must be in other than pass/fail courses. Graduate students should ascertain from their faculty advisors whether or not specific tests (such as the Miller's Analogies Test) are required for admission to candidacy in their specific degree programs. A student must be admitted to candidacy no later than the semester prior to graduation. Final admission to candidacy will be granted provided that:

1. All course deficiencies, including incompletes, have been removed.

2. At least a B average has been maintained in the resident graduate work.

3. Requirements for admission to candidacy required in the student's graduate program have been met.

Satisfactory Academic Progress
Graduate students who receive a stipend, salary or nonresident tuition waiver from the university, based upon their status as a graduate student, must maintain satisfactory academic progress each term of their award or appointment. This requirement also applies to students granted a nonresident tuition waiver under the Tuition Award Program (TAP). Satisfactory academic progress requires completion of at least nine earned graduate credits, with a grade point average of 3.0 or greater, per semester. Courses in which a grade of IP is given shall be considered earned credits. (The grade point average of 3.0 may be required in fewer than nine graduate credits if the stipend stipulates that a smaller number of credits may be taken.)

When students, admitted unconditionally, have not been admitted to candidacy within the completion of 16 semester hours they will be placed on probation. If not admitted to candidacy after 20 hours of resident graduate work due to the lack of a B average, they will be excluded from registration by the Dean of Faculties. Students admitted on probation will be excluded from further registration if they cannot be unconditionally admitted upon the completion of 10 semester hours.

The Dean of Faculties shall notify the faculty advisor of any student who has been admitted to candidacy and who has failed to achieve a B average by the time the student has attempted 20 semester hours of graduate work. Such notification to the faculty advisor will serve as notice that the student will be excluded from the graduate program unless a petition to the Graduate Council is approved. The petition must have prior approval of the faculty advisor and the academic department chair.

Final Examination
Graduate programs hold the option of requiring a written and/or oral examination.

Thesis, Seminar Paper or Project
All master's degree candidates are required to complete a thesis, seminar paper or project, as prescribed by the graduate program and approved by the faculty advisor. Evidence of the completion of this requirement must be filed in the Graduate Studies Office prior to graduation. The thesis should be typed or printed using a word processor or microcomputer with a letter-quality or laser printer. Three copies of the thesis must be bound. One bound copy must be filed with the faculty advisor and two bound copies must be filed in the Graduate Studies Office for transmittal to Jim Dan Hill Library. Departments may require additional bound copies. An original typed or printed copy of the thesis must be one of the two copies submitted to the Graduate Studies Office.

Application for the Graduate Degree
Application for the Graduate Degree must be made in the Graduate Studies Office during the final term of attendance according to the Class Schedule calendar. Payment of a graduation fee is required. Completion of the Learning Environment Survey is optional.

To be graduated at the end of a specific term, all requirements and course work must be completed before the first day of classes for the following term. Students who have applied but do not graduate must reapply for graduation.

Second Master's Degree
Additional master's degrees are permissible but each such degree requires 30 to 48 semester credits (as per the catalog requirements) beyond the credits earned for the previous master's degrees. Courses taken as part of a prior master's degree at UW-Superior or elsewhere may not count toward the credit requirement for a subsequent master's degree.

Exceptions to Graduate Studies Policies
Exceptions to established Graduate Studies policies may be requested by submitting a petition to the Graduate Council. Petition forms are available in the Graduate Studies Office.

Financial Aid Opportunities
Graduate students have access to a variety of financial aid opportunities, as described below.

Advanced Opportunity Program
The Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) of UW-Superior makes funds available for eligible graduate students who are disadvantaged or belong to American ethnic minorities (limited by UW System Guidelines to Native American, African American, Hispanic, and Southeast Asian students). These fellowships provide a maximum equivalent to a graduate assistantship (see below) for full-time students, from which all academic fees are to be paid by the student receiving the AOP award. Applications for AOP Fellowships should be submitted by April 1 preceding the academic year of planned attendance at UW-Superior. Summer AOP Fellowships must be requested separately. Applications are submitted to the Dean of Faculties and the student must file a financial aid application. Partial AOP stipends may be awarded to part-time graduate students who otherwise qualify for the AOP fellowship. AOP fellows must
maintain satisfactory academic progress in their degree program to retain the fellowship in subsequent semesters required for the degree.

Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity
Minnesota and Wisconsin employ reciprocity for tuition purposes. Minnesota students may pay Minnesota resident fees at UW-Superior provided they are granted Reciprocity Fee Status by the Minnesota Higher Education Coordinating Board. For more information, contact the Graduate Studies Office, Old Main, Room 137.

Graduate Assistantships
Graduate assistantships are available in some academic programs of the university. Students interested in a graduate assistantship should file an application with the Graduate Studies Office and contact the Dean of Faculties for additional requirements. All information should be filed before April 1 for the Fall Semester. For the 2000-01 academic year stipends were $8,810 for 20 hours per week. All graduate assistants pay resident Wisconsin or Minnesota tuition and fees. Applicants for graduate assistantships must comply with requirements of the Immigration Control and Reform Act of 1986. For further information regarding procedures for compliance, contact the university's Human Resources Office.

Graduate assistants must enroll for a minimum of nine graduate resident credits, with a maximum of 15 credits, each semester in which they hold a graduate assistantship. Graduate assistants must maintain satisfactory academic progress in their degree program, including completion of at least nine semester credits to retain their assistantship within the appointment year. A graduate assistantship may not be held while student teaching, doing a practicum, or interning for certification.

Tuition Award Program
The Tuition Award Program (TAP) allows UW-Superior to waive a portion of the out-of-state tuition that nonresident students are charged. Graduate students applying for admission (excluding international students) may also apply for a TAP award. Applications, which include information on limitations and restrictions, are available from the Graduate Studies Office. Applications should be received by April 1 for the following fall semester.

Nonresident and International Students Tuition Waivers
A limited number of tuition waivers are available for graduate students who are not residents of Wisconsin or Minnesota, including international students. These waive the nonresident portion of tuition. Students receiving Nonresident Tuition Waivers pay in-state tuition and fees. To apply for a Nonresident Tuition Waiver, contact both the director of financial aid and the Dean of Faculties. Nonresident Tuition Waivers are automatically awarded to graduate students who have been awarded graduate assistantships.

Financial Aid
Graduate students may be eligible for need-based financial aid through the Office of Financial Aid. Graduate students interested in financial aid available through the university according to federal and state guidelines are advised to contact the director of financial aid. Admission to Graduate Studies and financial aid need to be completed by March 1 for students desiring work study. Special adult graduate students are not eligible for financial aid.

Beecroft Graduate Travel Grant
The Beecroft Graduate Travel Grant provides a grant of $1,000 for travel to the New England states, the province of Quebec, or countries outside the United States and Canada to graduate students whose graduate work would be aided or enhanced by travel. Applications are available in the Graduate Studies Office.

Graduate Tuition/Refund of Tuition and Fees
Graduate tuition is somewhat higher than undergraduate tuition due primarily to the higher costs associated with smaller class sizes and greater individualized programming. UW System policy specifies that graduate students who take undergraduate courses as part of their graduate program will be charged at the graduate tuition level for all courses. Students will receive full refunds for courses dropped from their schedule before or during the first week classes begin. The day of record for the drop is the day written notification is received by the registrar's office. The tuition and fee refund schedule is available in the Class Schedule.

It should be noted that the difference of a single day may result in a substantial reduction in refund. While Graduate Studies Office personnel will be glad to provide as much service as they can, the opening weeks of a term are busy ones for the office. Graduate students would be well advised to process any drops in person and directly through the Registrar's Office during the first to fourth weeks of classes. Students who call the Graduate Studies Office and ask graduate office personnel to carry out this responsibility for them may find that processing is necessarily slower than they may desire, with adverse financial consequences for the student.