Services for Students


UW-Superior provides a wide range of academic and personal services for students.


Academic Advisement

See Center for Academic and Career Advising, Disability Services


Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator

The Affirmative Action Officer is responsible for facilitating the resolution of discrimination or sexual harassment complaints initiated by or against students. The initial contact is confidential and may be limited to requests for information about discrimination/sexual harassment policies and procedures, discussion of existing situations and/or options for resolving complaints. These options include resolutions by mutual consent or by filing of a written complaint. For more information, call 394-8365 or go to Old Main, Room 201.



The University Bookstore, located in Rothwell Student Center, is the official outlet for academic books and materials. It's open Monday through Friday, with evening hours at the beginning of each semester to accommodate students enrolled in evening classes. It also sells nonrequired books, gifts, art materials, paper supplies and items bearing the university name. The store provides postal and check-cashing services. To order textbooks or merchandise on the web: For more information, call (715) 394-8278.


Campus Safety Office

The Campus Safety Office provides campus security, conducts crime investigations, handles disturbances and accidents, develops crime awareness programs, and patrols campus buildings and grounds. The office is staffed by a police officer and full-time security officers. Anyone on campus may call the office at 394-8114 to request an escort to their vehicle or residence hall. For emergencies, call 911.


Center for Academic Advising, Disability Support Services

Old Main, Room 134

Hours 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. M-F

Fax: (715) 394-8307


Students entering the one-stop center are seen by professionals able to provide both academic and career advisement services. The center advising staff provides career-related support to all undergraduate and graduate students and alumni as well as academic advisement for undergraduates. Students who are changing majors, minors and/or advisors need to come to the center to declare their changes. The center seeks to be a location where students and alumni may feel safe and comfortable to talk about their career, academic and/or personal goals regardless of major or career level.


Advisement: Undergraduate degree-seeking students are assigned an academic advisor by the center staff based on their major preferences. Students who have not declared a major are assigned to advisors who have a commitment toward helping students develop appropriate academic plans. The IDS 297 course, offered by center staff, is particularly recommended for students who are undecided about a major. Advisors’ role, in part, includes assisting students with goal setting, understanding degree and graduation requirements, and long-term career options. Students are required to meet with their advisors each semester before registering for classes. For questions related to undergraduate academic advisement, e-mail, or call (715) 394-8515.


Career: Career advisement services, led by center staff, include but are not limited to: personal interest inventories and skills assessment interpretations; assistance with resume writing, interview strategies, career networking, annual career fair and other career preparation sessions. Three additional classes for 1-2 credits are also offered to assist with career development. They are: BUS 499, PSYC 390, and CPP 681. Assistance with choosing a major and applying for graduate school is also available. Students and alumni are encouraged to check the center website for the latest web-based job, internship, and volunteer postings, résumé posting, and finding a mentor to assist with career development, and other services that would link them to potential employers.  For career–related questions, e-mail, or call (715) 394-8308.


Disability Support Services: Disability Support Services (DSS) for UW-Superior students is housed in the Center for Academic and Career Advising in Old Main, Room 134. Center staff are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for students covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability against persons in any program or activity receiving or benefiting from federal funds. Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act also require these institutions to make reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. These mandates apply to documented learning, physical, sensory, and psychiatric disabilities. Students are to familiarize themselves with the DSS Handbook online at


The Disability Support Services (DSS) advisor serves as a liaison for students with disabilities, and coordinates reasonable accommodation requests. To become eligible for accommodations, interested students must: 1) Identify themselves to DSS and provide appropriate documentation of the disability; 2) Schedule an appointment to review the information and develop an accommodation plan with DSS; 3) Inform instructors of accommodation needs at the beginning of each semester by giving them a FAF (Faculty Accommodation Form; and 4) Meet with DSS to update the accommodation plan and to arrange timely services. For questions related to Services for Students with Disabilities, e-mail or call (715) 394-8515 or contact a staff member in the Center for Academic and Career Advising.


Computing and Media Services

Computing and Media Services provides services that empower the UW-Superior community to use computing and media technology in teaching, learning, research and service.


The Computing and Media Center in McCaskill Hall, Room 122, serves as the campus technology helpdesk, assisting with access and application questions. The center provides short-term loan of technology teaching and learning tools to students, faculty and staff. In the adjacent Media Lab, students and faculty can scan images or slides, edit web media or video, view videos, and create group presentations. Media production services available to faculty and staff include graphics, web page design, audio, video and multimedia production. Technology seminars are offered regularly to help learners develop new skills.


Computer labs are located in each academic building and are staffed with trained consultants. Students can use a standard software suite plus specialized applications for many academic programs. Assistive technology workstations are available.


Computing and Media Services supports learning technology in all UW-Superior classrooms. Many classrooms are equipped with computers and video systems for group presentation. Others connect to regional and statewide distance learning systems, including the Northern Wisconsin Educational Communication System (NWECS) interactive video network, and the UW-Extension videoconference network.


Computing and Media Services also provides technology maintenance, purchasing and consulting services to the university community. Another service is international television programming cablecast in the Superior area on Channel 22.


Day Care Center

The University Children's Learning Center is located in the lower level of Sundquist Hall. It is open all year from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, serving students, staff and faculty at UW-Superior and WITC as well as the community. The center is licensed to care for children ages 6 weeks to 10 years. It is staffed with degree-holding and certified teachers. For information on registration and fees, call (715) 394-8304.


Dean of Students

The Dean of Students Office provides services that are basic to student needs and add value to out-of-class time. The areas represented are: Bookstore, Campus Welcome Center, Campus Safety, Children's Learning Center, Health and Counseling, Residence Life, Rothwell Student Center, Student Development, Orientation, identification cards, health insurance, and student discipline issues.


The office is located by the Information Desk in Rothwell Student Center. Call (715) 394-8244 or visit the office for assistance and service.


Dining Services

All students, faculty and staff may eat in the cafeteria located on the first floor of Rothwell Student Center and in the snack bar located in the lower level. Students living in the residence halls eat most of their meals in the cafeteria, but they also may use the snack bar and Coffee Nook. Students may purchase a meal plan, purchase points or use cash.


Disability Support Services

See Center for Academic and Career Advising, Disability Support Services


First Nations Student Services

First Nations Student Services assists students in general advisement, cultural counseling, advocacy, financial aid problems and other needs. First Nations Student Services is located in Sundquist Hall, Room 105. For more information, call (715) 394-8358.


Health and Counseling Services

UW-Superior provides health and counseling services to all students who have registered and paid their fee at the university. All services are strictly confidential and not released to anyone without the student's written consent.


The office of Health and Counseling Services is located at Sundquist Hall, Room 119. Appointments can be made by calling (715) 394-8236. A certified university nurse practitioner and trained, licensed counselors are available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. A physician and psychiatrist are available by appointment only. Call for information on the current schedule.


Counseling Services

Professionally trained and licensed counselors offer immediate crisis intervention services, as well as personal and academic-performance related counseling by appointment. Common issues include testing problems, relationship, alcohol/drug problems, anxiety, depression, stress, and other mental health conditions. Referrals for medication evaluation by the psychiatrist are decided by the counseling staff. Counseling information is not available to parents, faculty or advisors without specific written consent by the student.


Student Health Insurance

Individual health insurance is available to enrolled students. It is recommended that all students who are not covered by their family’s insurance plan purchase this or some other type of medical insurance. Health insurance is mandatory for international students and student athletes. For information, visit the Rothwell Student Center Information Desk, call (715) 394-8244 or contact Health and Counseling Services.


Information and Instructional Technology Services (IITS) Council

The IITS Council is the management team responsible for all aspects of information and instructional technology on campus. The IITS Council has representatives from Computing and Media Services, the Faculty Development Center, Jim Dan Hill Library, Network and Programming Services, and ResNet.


International Student Services

Students living outside the United States should contact the Office of International Programs to enroll at UW-Superior. Once on campus, international students and staff can get help in adjusting to campus and community life, and in meeting U.S. immigration regulations. The International Student Services Coordinator also helps students with personal, social and academic problems. The office is located in Old Main, Room 337. For more information, call (715) 394-8138 or e-mail


Intramural and Outdoor Recreation Programs

Students can use the Intramural and Outdoor Recreation programs to take part in organized intramural sports on campus or join guided outdoor trips around the region.


Campus programs include scheduled sports tournaments and leagues. Outdoor activities include alpine and cross country skiing, canoeing and kayaking, camping and backpacking, horseback riding and snowshoeing. The Outdoor Recreation program offers low-cost rentals of camping equipment, skis and other outdoor recreational equipment.


The office is located in the Health & Wellness Center, Room 1438. For more information, call (715) 395-4611.


Jim Dan Hill Library

Jim Dan Hill Library provides information resources to support teaching, scholarly activity and learning at UW-Superior. The library has a growing collection of books, periodicals, government documents, videos/DVDs, CDs and CD-ROMS. In addition, the library provides online databases, many with full text, that can be accessed from on or off campus. The library participates in many cooperative agreements locally, regionally, nationally and internationally that make it easy to share resources and information. Through this network the library is able to borrow material not available at UW-Superior.


The library offers personal and classroom instruction in the access, use and evaluation of information. Electronic resources, subject guides, and information learning guides are available via the library's website at Reference service to assist in answering information needs is available in person, by telephone, by e-mail or by live chat. Consult the library's website for service hours. In-depth consultation with librarians is provided by appointment.


Personal computers connected to the campus network are available for student use. These include notebook computers that can be checked out for use in the library for accessing the campus wireless network. Study rooms are available and are equipped with video/DVD players, computers, and projectors for the preparation and practicing of class presentations.


Jim Dan Hill Library has three special collections. It is a selective depository library in the Federal Depository Library Program and for State of Wisconsin documents. The majority of federal and state documents in the library pertain to areas that are part of the curriculum and issues affecting the 7th Congressional District of Wisconsin. The Legal Resource Center includes an extensive law library and online access to other legal resources. The Lake Superior Maritime Collection is a research collection of high quality. It identifies, collects, preserves, and provides access to materials that tell the story of maritime history and activities relating to communities surrounding Lake Superior and the upper Great Lakes.


The library maintains convenient hours for students. For more information about hours and services, call (715) 394-8343 or visit the library's website at


McNair Scholars Program

The Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program is a graduate school preparation program. It was established to prepare low-income, first-generation college students and students from groups under-represented in graduate education for doctoral study. Qualifying university students who demonstrate academic ability can apply to the McNair Program as sophomores, juniors or seniors.


Students take part in an extensive orientation program, monthly workshops and GRE preparation, and are linked with faculty mentors. As juniors and seniors, they conduct research similar to what they would produce as graduate students. In the fall of the year students formally present their research projects at a campuswide poster session and at a National McNair Research Conference.


The McNair Scholars Program is located in Old Main, Room 340. For more information, contact Director Sue Holm at (715) 394-8043 or visit the program's website at


Multicultural Student Affairs

The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs provides students of color assistance with financial aid, counseling, academic advisement, advocacy and other services. The office also helps students to connect with other programs and offices at UW-Superior. The office provides a "home away from home" to students of color. The office is located in Old Main, Room 230, next to the Multicultural Center. For more information, call (715) 394-8297.


Network and Programming Services

Networking: The campuswide network links all major computing resources. Networked computers give students access to e-mail, the Internet, file storage, programs and the library's online catalog and databases. All students have free access to the Internet and e-mail.


Programming: The programming group supports the Student Information System, the Alumni and Foundation System, Web (My E-Hive Portal) and Network Account creation, and access and reporting for the Accounting and Personnel systems.


Orientation (New Student Orientation)

All new, incoming students are expected to attend New Student Orientation. This program acquaints students with numerous campus services; gives students the opportunity to network with other student, faculty and staff; and addresses questions and concerns about campus life. In the fall, a three-day program is planned for the week prior to the start of classes. In January, a condensed version is offered to students joining the university at second semester. Other specialty orientations are also offered.


A $70 fee (included on the student’s university billing statement) is assessed to each new student (freshmen and transfers).This non-refundable fee covers the costs for the summer registration process and orientation.


Students with questions about New Student Orientation should contact Student Development at (715) 394-8243. 


Parking Services

Vehicles parked on campus must display a valid parking permit. Meter parking also is available. The Campus Welcome Center, located at Belknap Street and Catlin Avenue, provides parking permits for students, faculty, staff and guests. It also distributes parking regulation booklets and campus maps. The center is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. Parking information is available by calling (715) 394-8177.


Residence Halls

On-campus living exposes students to new ideas, people and cultures. Residential living also promotes interpersonal development, student involvement and learning outside the classroom.


UW-Superior offers a wide range of options for students living in university residence halls. All rooms are equipped with cable internet service.


·         Crownhart Hall is an all-women's residence hall. 

·         Curran-McNeill Hall is a coed hall.

·         Ostrander Hall is a coed hall (first, second and fourth floor house men; third floor houses women.

·         Ross Hall is a coed hall and features non-traditional student floors and single rooms.


The UW System Board of Regents requires students to live in a university residence hall and to participate in a university meal plan if they are freshmen and sophomores (students who have not earned at least 56 semester credits as of the first day of classes in the fall) who are not veterans, married and/or with legally dependent children, or living with a parent or guardian within 35 miles of campus (with a commuter card on file with the Residence Life Office).


For more information, visit or contact the Residence Life Office at (715) 394-8438.


Student Center

Rothwell Student Center is the center of campus community life. It houses a student lounge, study areas, meeting rooms, offices for student organizations, computer labs, the University Bookstore, the snack bar, Coffee Nook and cafeteria. Services include a bank, ATM, fax machine, copy machine, Campus Safety Office, student identification cards, mailboxes, entertainment, and volunteer opportunities. For more information, visit the RSC Information Desk or call (715) 394-8244.


Student Development Office

The Student Development Office coordinates orientation programs for new students, student leadership development and student activities. It also provides support to student organizations and their advisors. In addition, the office offers programs and activities about concerns such as alcohol and drug use, AIDS education, and other social issues. For more information, call (715) 394-8243.


Student Support Services

Student Support Services is a federally and university-funded program that serves students who are qualified according to federal income guidelines, who are first-generation college students (neither parent has a baccalaureate degree) or who have a disability. The program provides developmental math classes, a study skills course, tutoring, counseling, academic advising and mentoring. Student Support Services offices and labs are located in Old Main, rooms 118 and 135.


Support services offered are:

1.     Course work


2.     One-to-one and small-group tutor in both support services labs:

a. Mathematics Lab in Old Main, Room 118: Peer tutors provide math tutoring in the majority of math courses offered at the university from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily and some evenings.


b. Academic Support Center in Old Main, Room 135 – 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday; and until 10:30 p.m. in the residence halls.

--Study Skills Instruction: Students learn strategies to improve reading efficiency and comprehension, memory, note taking, listening, test taking and time management.

--Tutoring/Study Groups: Staffed by specially trained students who have demonstrated academic proficiency and a strong desire to help other students.

-- Peer mentorship/advising

-- Nontraditional student assistance/support

-- Placement test, PPST and ACT testing

-- Word processing/internet peer instruction

-- Miscellaneous tutoring/study groups  

3.     Access and Bridge Learning Communities:

The Access Program, scheduled for the summer and fall, and spring offers a pre-college experience at WITC-Superior. The program courses offered are transferable and meet UW-Superior general education requirements. Students who successfully complete their Access courses at WITC (C or better) are invited to continue their studies full time at UW-Superior within the Bridge Learning Community. The biggest bonus for Access students is that they have established a network, and begin their career at UW-Superior from six to 12 credits ahead of other new students.  

For more information, write or call:

Student Support Services

University of Wisconsin-Superior

Belknap & Catlin PO Box 2000

Superior, WI 54880-4500


(715) 394-8185


Women and Gender Issues

The Office of Women and Gender Issues works with students — and also with staff and faculty, along with the broader Duluth-Superior community — to provide research, support, advocacy and education on issues related to women, gender and LGBT/Q (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning) people. The office works one-on-one with individuals requesting help or information. The coordinator can advocate for individuals experiencing sexual harassment, coercion, gender inequities, discrimination or other problems related to gender or sexual identity. For more information, contact the Office of Women's and Gender Issues by calling (715) 394-8405, stopping by Sundquist Hall, Room 143, or visiting the website


Women's Resource Center

The Women's Resource Center located in Rothwell Student Center, Room 19, sponsors seminars and programs about women's interests and concerns. People who work with women's issues frequently are scheduled to speak or to be available for questions and consultation. Staff members assist students in locating information about women's contributions and issues for their classes. Magazines, books and other print materials about women's concerns are kept in the center. For more information, contact the Women's Resource Center coordinator, (715) 394-8091.


Writing Center

Writers from all courses and disciplines use the Writing Center to meet with trained writing consultants to discuss their ideas and to plan, develop, revise, and edit their writing in an atmosphere of collaborative learning. All writers are welcome. Conferences are free.


The Writing Center is a place where writers can feel comfortable trying out ideas, where their writing is not evaluated, and where a process of inquiry is encouraged. Consultants ask more questions than they answer, offering guidance rather than judgment to less-experienced writers. Consultants see writing as a form of problem solving in which the consultants offer strategies and suggestions that will enable the writers to better accomplish their work as writers. Ownership of the writing always remains with the writer.


Consultants work with students who are searching for topics, attempting to summarize the reading, trying to get a draft started, looking for a method of organization for their writing, trying to develop clear examples to support their points, working on establishing a main point or central idea for their writing, revising an early draft, reconsidering the direction of their writing, and eliminating errors from their writing.


In addition, specialized workshops can be designed for writers from any course in any field. Contact the center for details.


The Writing Center is on Jim Dan Hill Library's second floor, Room 217. Call (715) 394-8095 for current hours and other information.