Scroll down to read the entire document or select a specific topic from this list. To return to top, click "Back" on your browser.


Graduate Studies Catalog home

Course Descriptions


Degrees Student Responsibility Final Examination Financial Aid Opportunities
Accreditation Academic Integrity Grading System    Advanced Opportunity Program
Graduate Faculty Catalog Graduation    Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity
Graduate Council Student Identification Reentry    Graduate Assistantships
Admission Procedures Graduate Program Plan of Study Residency Requirement    Tuition Award Program
   Unconditional Registration Satisfactory Academic Progress    Financial Aid
   Probationary Admission Course Repeat Second Master's Degree    Beecroft Graduate Travel Grant
   Special Graduate Status Course Numbering System 10-Year Limit Graduate Tuition/Refund of Tuition and Fees
   Certification in Professional Education Credit by Examination Thesis, Seminar Paper or Project  
   International Student Admission Credit Load, Academic Year and Summer Transfer Credit  
   Faculty Advisement Exceptions to Graduate Studies Policies Workshops  



Graduate Studies




Master of Arts (M.A.)

M.A. degree programs are offered in Visual Arts and Communicating Arts.


Master of Science in Education (M.S.E.)

M.S.E. degree programs are offered in Educational Administration, Guidance and Counseling, Instruction, Reading, and Special Education.


Specialist in Education (Ed.S.)

The Ed.S. degree program is offered in Educational Administration.



From its beginning in 1896 until 1947, the campus in Superior was an undergraduate teacher preparatory institution. In 1947 the legislature granted what was then Superior State Teachers College the right to broaden its offerings to include baccalaureate degrees in the liberal arts.


Three years later, the Board of Regents authorized the first of Superiorís graduate degrees: a Master of Education Degree in School Administration, which offered its first courses in the 1950 summer session. Superior was the first of the state teachers colleges in Wisconsin to offer a liberal arts degree and later was the first of that group to offer a post-masters specialist degree. A Master of Education in Guidance and Counseling was approved in 1955, followed by a Master of Science in Teaching in 1958, the Specialist in Education (Ed.S) in 1965, and the two Master of Arts degrees in 1969.



UW-Superior is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. All graduate programs culminating in a state certificate have been approved by the Wisconsin State Department of Public Instruction. The M.S.E. in Counseling is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Programs (CACREP). The university holds institutional membership in the American Association of Higher Education, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, and the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges.


Graduate Faculty

The Graduate Faculty is the community of scholars responsible for creating the academic climate for graduate study by teaching graduate courses, stimulating and conducting research, and advising individual graduate students. The Graduate Faculty serves as the legislative body for the graduate programs, acting within the limits of policies of the State of Wisconsin and the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents. Members of the Graduate Faculty are identified in the faculty and staff section of this catalog.


Graduate Council

The Graduate Council is a council of the UW-Superior Faculty Senate. The Graduate Council is the policy-making body for graduate studies and acts for the Graduate Faculty in the operation of the graduate programs. The Graduate Council is responsible to the Graduate Faculty, and includes as members representatives of the Graduate Faculty by academic degree program, a secretary elected from and by the Graduate Faculty, and the Provost.


Admission Procedures

Admission to the graduate programs may be initiated by contacting the Graduate Studies Office for application materials. Applicants must:  

1. Submit a completed application to the Graduate Studies Office. To receive an application, contact the Graduate Studies Office at (715) 394-8295 or Apply online at or


2. Request that an official transcript of all previous undergraduate and graduate work be sent to the Graduate Studies Office directly from the institutions previously attended.


3. Attach a nonrefundable application fee of $45 payable to the University of Wisconsin-Superior.


4. Submit other application materials required by specific programs.  

All application forms and transcripts should be submitted in advance of registration to ensure time for processing. Recommended dates for submission of application materials are April 1 for summer or fall terms and October 15 for the spring term. Students will be admitted under the policies of the current General Catalog. Any student who applies and is admitted but does not attend the university within a one-year period must reapply for admission and must comply with the admission requirements of the current Graduate Section of the then-current university catalog.


Decisions relating to admission are governed by university policy and administered by the Provost. Admission to a specific graduate program rests with the faculty advisors and departments.



A student admitted unconditionally to a graduate degree program must meet both the requirements of the individual graduate program and the following Graduate Studies requirements:  

1. The applicant holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.


2. An undergraduate grade point average of at least 2.75 (four-point scale) or a 2.90 grade point average in the last half of the undergraduate program. Undergraduate and graduate work from all colleges attended will be considered.


3. Other application material required by individual programs.


4. All necessary papers and information are filed with the Graduate Studies Office.

Probationary Admission

An applicant desiring to pursue a degree but not meeting one or more of the requirements for unconditional admission may be granted probationary admission if all of the following are met: 

1. The applicant holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.


2. The applicant has a grade point average greater than 2.5 (four-point scale.) Graduate coursework may be considered. An applicant who does not have a grade point average of less than 2.5 has the right to initiate a petition to the Graduate Council requesting probationary admission. Such a petition should include documentation of the applicantís ability to perform satisfactorily at the graduate level. Petitions require concurrence by the program coordinator and department chair.


3. An applicant does not have an appropriate undergraduate major or equivalent evidence of suitable background for entering the individual program.


4. All necessary papers and information have been filed with the Graduate Studies Office.


5. Other probationary components may be required by individual graduate programs.


6. Probationary graduate students may be admitted unconditionally when the student, with faculty advisor approval, petitions the Graduate Council with substantial evidence that the student has the potential for doing satisfactory graduate work. Such evidence may include:

a. A grade point average of 3.0 or better average in the first 8-10 semester hours of graduate work selected by the faculty advisor (work may count toward degree.)


b. Other evidence as deemed important by the faculty advisor.

Any student who has not successfully become eligible for unconditional admission by the completion of 10 semester hours of work will be denied enrollment in graduate studies.


Special Graduate Status

A special student may be allowed to enroll in graduate courses if:  

1. The applicant holds a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. An official transcript must be provided.


2. The applicant does not wish to pursue a degree or certification program at this university. A maximum of 10 semester credits taken as a special student may be applied to a degree or certification program.


3. Special students will not be required to pay the $45 application fee. The applicant makes application through the Graduate Studies Office or may apply online at

Certification in Professional Education

Individuals seeking UW-Superior approval for certification in professional education through the graduate programs must apply for admission (see Admission Procedures) and must also submit a copy of their current teaching license. No more than 10 semester credits earned before being admitted to Graduate Studies may be applied toward graduate level certification programs in professional education.


Admission to a certification program at the graduate level, either as part of a degree program or separately from a degree program, may be denied or withdrawn if there is evidence that the applicant does not meet the standards, as defined by Chapter PI 34 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code for the Department of Public Instruction (March 1987) regarding conduct which may endanger the health, welfare, safety or education of any pupil.


International Student Admission

Qualified international students are welcome to enroll in graduate degree programs at UW-Superior. To be admitted, the following information must be submitted to the Graduate Studies Office:  

1. Completed Graduate Studies Application for Admission form. Apply online at


2. A copy of all transcripts, certificates, and examination results from secondary and postsecondary schools with official stamp and signature. These documents must be sent directly to the Graduate Studies Office by the institution (school) issuing them. Transcripts will not be accepted from students. English translations, duly certified, must also be sent.


3. A statement or certificate indicating English language proficiency. A score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), 79 (internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is recommended. Specific departments may require higher scores and may also require the Test of Spoken English (TSE). Any deviation from these standards must be approved in advance by the appropriate faculty advisor and the Provost.


4. Documented evidence of financial stability for two years with the completion of the Financial Responsibility Form online at This should include proof of financial resources indicating stipend and source and/or a bank statement bearing the official bank seal indicating the amount of money available for study in the United States for at least two years. U.S. consular offices often require that money be deposited in U.S. currency in the university's business office before visas are issued. Care must be taken that all statements of support are thoroughly documented. This documented evidence must be submitted with the application for admission. Verification from a local bank that money is on deposit for use during residency in the United States is acceptable at the time of application. Students should not rely on financial assistance in the form of part-time work on campus as such employment cannot be guaranteed. Most international graduate students may be awarded a partial nonresident tuition waiver. Information regarding nonresident tuition waivers may be obtained from the director of financial aid, the international student advisor or the Graduate Studies Office.


5. A $45 nonrefundable application fee in U.S. dollars made payable to the University of Wisconsin-Superior.


6. All required documents for admission must be on file with the Graduate Studies Office by April 1 for the fall semester, by September 1 for the spring semester, and by February 1 for the summer session.

Faculty Advisement

Assignment of an advisor is made by the appropriate faculty coordinator for the graduate program when the student is admitted. The faculty advisor will study the student's abilities and needs, help plan the program, and may supervise the thesis, project, or writing requirement.


Student Responsibility

It is the responsibility of students to be informed and to follow all graduate policies and degree program requirements as well as any specific requirements of the major program. Therefore, it is important that all students carefully read this section of the university catalog.


Academic Integrity

Graduate students are expected to maintain academic integrity in meeting the requirements for a graduate degree. Evidence of academic misconduct may result in certain sanctions, such as failure in a course or dismissal from Graduate Studies. Chapter 14 UW-Superior Student Academic Disciplinary Procedures of the Wisconsin Administrative Code for the University of Wisconsin System outlines the procedures for identifying academic misconduct and the appropriate sanctions.



Students normally use the catalog requirements in force at the term of their official admission (except for mandatory legal changes). With their advisorís approval, students may designate a different catalog year for requirements, which shall not be more than seven years old at the date of graduation.


Student Identification

After registration and payment of fees, students should obtain a student identification card at the Student Center. If a student already holds an ID card, the Cashierís Office will validate it for the current term. Several benefits are available to those who hold a current ID card. For example, students can check out materials from Jim Dan Hill Library, use networked computer labs, use the Health & Wellness Center, and obtain discounts at many university-sponsored events.


Graduate Program Plan of Study

A program plan of studies, formulated by the student in conference with the faculty advisor, must be filed in the Graduate Studies Office. Final approval will be made by the advisor and chair of the department. Graduate students should ascertain from their faculty advisors whether specific tests (such as the Miller Analogies Test) are required for admission in their specific degree programs. A minimum of 30 to 49 credits (varies by academic program) is required for the masterís degree. At least half the required minimum number of credits should be taken in courses which are open to graduate students only (numbered 700-899).



Advanced registration for each term will open and close according to the dates printed in the Class Schedule or at Forms for advanced registration may be requested from the Graduate Studies Office. Students should meet with their advisors before registration.


Course Repeat

No graduate student will be allowed to repeat more than one graduate course taken at UW-Superior for which he or she has received a mark other than a W or an I, with the exception of contract courses arranged by the instructor and approved by faculty advisor. The last grade earned is the grade of record. All course repeats must be repeated on the UW-Superior campus or through the University of Wisconsin Extension.


Course Numbering System

Courses numbered 500 and above. Requirements are established by the course instructor and approved by the Graduate Council.


Credit by Examination

Graduate credit will not be awarded through the mechanism of credit by examination. Any student desiring to have completed graduate coursework entered on the official transcript shall be required to officially enroll in the course, complete all graduate course requirements and have a grade officially recorded by the graduate faculty member of record.


Credit Load, Academic Year and Summer

The minimum full-time credit load for a graduate student is nine credits per semester. The maximum load for a graduate student is 15 credits per semester. The maximum load includes Extension classes. It is expected that one graduate credit should require at least 48 hours of work from the student. Graduate students may enroll for a maximum of 12 credits in courses which occur during various summer dates between the end of the spring term and before the beginning of the fall term.


Exceptions to Graduate Studies Policies

Exceptions to established Graduate Studies policies may be requested by submitting a petition to the Graduate Council. Petition forms are available in the Graduate Studies Office or online at


Final Examination

The graduate programs hold the option of requiring a written and/or oral examination.


Grading System

The grading system for courses open to graduate students is the same as for undergraduates. However, no grade below C- carries graduate credit and a 3.00 grade point average in resident work is required for graduation. The grade IP may only be given in courses not normally completed in one semester, such as a thesis, practicum or internship. An IP grade may be changed to a letter grade any time at the discretion of the instructor up to a maximum of seven years from the beginning of the course. Conversely, the grade I should be given in courses which are normally completed within the framework of one semester, such as regularly scheduled classes. A grade of incomplete must be completed by the end of the next semester (for full-time students) or within one year from the end of the term in case of nonattendance or part-time attendance.



Application for the graduate degree must be made online through the studentís My E-Hive account or in the Graduate Studies Office during the final term of attendance according to the Class Schedule calendar. Payment of a graduation fee is required.


To be graduated at the end of a specific term, all requirements and course work must be completed before the first day of classes for the following term. Students who have applied but do not graduate must reapply for graduation.



Students who have not enrolled in graduate coursework within a calendar year are considered inactive. Inactive students and students who have completed their degree programs must update and reactivate their files by completing a Graduate Reentry form before they will be eligible to register for graduate courses. Forms are available at and the Graduate Studies Office.


Residency Requirement

A minimum of half or 50 percent of the required credits of each graduate program must be earned through UW-Superior.


Satisfactory Academic Progress

The Provost shall notify the faculty advisor of any student who has failed to achieve a 3.0 grade point average by the time the student has attempted 20 semester hours of graduate work.


Graduate students who receive a stipend, salary, or nonresident tuition waiver from the university, based upon their status as a graduate student, must maintain satisfactory academic progress each term of their award or appointment. This requirement also applies to students granted a nonresident tuition waiver under the Tuition Award Program (TAP). Satisfactory academic progress requires completion of at least nine earned graduate credits, with a grade point average of 3.0 or greater, per semester. Courses in which a grade of IP is given shall be considered earned credits. (The grade point average of 3.0 may be required in fewer than nine graduate credits if the stipend stipulates that a smaller number of credits may be taken.)


Second Masterís Degree

Additional masterís degrees are permissible but each such degree requires 30 to 49 semester credits (as per the catalog requirements) beyond the credits earned for the previous masterís degrees. Courses taken as part of a prior masterís degree at UW-Superior or elsewhere may not count toward the credit requirement for a subsequent master's degree.


10-Year Limit

All credits used in meeting the requirements of a graduate degree or certification in professional education must be earned within a period of not more than 10 consecutive years, commencing with the enrollment date in courses applicable to the degree (or certification program) rather than the completion date of applicable courses. This limit applies to resident credit courses, Extension courses, and courses taken at other universities.


Thesis, Seminar Paper or Project

All masterís degree candidates are required to complete a thesis or culminating project as prescribed by the graduate program and approved by the faculty advisor. Evidence of completion of this requirement must be verified by the advisor as indicated on the studentís course audit plan. Three copies of the thesis must be bound. One bound copy must be filed with the faculty advisor and two bound copies sent to Jim Dan Hill Library.


UW-Superior meets current federal regulations by expecting that all graduate student and faculty research dealing with human subjects will secure approval from the UW-Superior Institutional Review Board for the Protection of Human Subjects.


Transfer Credit

A student who is admitted may transfer 14 credits from other institutions accredited to offer graduate programs provided the transfer credit is appropriate to the degree being undertaken. No credit below a grade of B will transfer and no credit will be allowed for undergraduate work, work completed more than seven years before the expected degree, or work used to complete another degree. Students who wish to transfer credit from another accredited institution must:  

1. Have an official transcript sent to the Graduate Studies Office.


2. Complete a Transfer Credit Request form.

Each course transferred must have approval of the studentís faculty advisor and department and will be recorded by the Graduate Office. Transfer Credit Request forms are available in the Graduate Studies Office.



Workshops at the graduate level may be offered each term. A student may use a maximum of eight credits (may vary by program) of workshops toward the degree. Workshop credit must be approved by faculty advisor.


Financial Aid Opportunities

Graduate students have access to a variety of financial aid opportunities as described below.


Advanced Opportunity Program

The Advanced Opportunity Program (AOP) of UW-Superior makes funds available for eligible graduate students who are disadvantaged or belong to American ethnic minorities (limited by UW System Guidelines to Native American, African American, Hispanic, and Southeast Asian students). These fellowships provide a maximum equivalent to a graduate assistantship (see below) for full-time students, from which all academic fees are to be paid by the student receiving the AOP award. Applications for AOP Fellowships should be submitted by April 1 preceding the academic year of planned attendance at UW-Superior. Summer AOP Fellowships must be requested separately. Applications are submitted to the Graduate Studies Office ( and the student must file a financial aid application ( Partial AOP stipends may be awarded to part-time graduate students who otherwise qualify for the AOP fellowship. AOP fellows must maintain satisfactory academic progress in their degree program to retain the fellowship in subsequent semesters required for the degree.


Minnesota-Wisconsin Reciprocity

Minnesota and Wisconsin employ reciprocity for tuition purposes. Minnesota students may pay Minnesota resident fees at UW-Superior provided they are granted Reciprocity Fee Status by the Minnesota Higher Education Coordinating Board. Apply online at


Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships may be available in some academic programs of the university. Students interested in a graduate assistantship should contact the Graduate Studies Office for an application and additional requirements. All information should be filed before April 1 for the Fall Semester.  All graduate assistants pay resident Wisconsin or Minnesota tuition and fees. Applicants for graduate assistantships must comply with requirements of the Immigration Control and Reform Act of 1986. For further information regarding procedures for compliance, contact the university's Human Resources Office.


Graduate assistants must enroll for a minimum of nine graduate resident credits, with a maximum of 15 credits, each semester in which they hold a graduate assistantship. Graduate assistants must maintain satisfactory academic progress in their degree program, including completion of at least nine semester credits to retain their assistantship within the appointment year. A graduate assistantship may not be held while student teaching, doing a practicum, or interning for certification.


Tuition Award Program

The Tuition Award Program (TAP) allows UW-Superior to waive a portion of the out-of-state tuition that nonresident students are charged. Graduate students applying for admission may also apply for a TAP award. Applications, which include information on limitations and restrictions, are available from the Graduate Studies Office or online at Applications must be received by April 1 for the following fall semester. Nonresident Tuition Waivers are automatically awarded to graduate students who have been awarded graduate assistantships.


Financial Aid

Graduate students may be eligible for need-based financial aid through the Office of Financial Aid or online at Admission to Graduate Studies and financial aid need to be completed by March 1 for students desiring work study. Graduate special students are not eligible for financial aid.


Beecroft Graduate Travel Grant

The Beecroft Graduate Travel Grant provides a grant of $1,000 for travel to the New England states, the province of Quebec, or countries outside the United States and Canada to graduate students whose graduate work would be aided or enhanced by travel. Applications are available in the Graduate Studies Office or online at


Graduate Tuition/Refund of Tuition and Fees

UW System policy specifies that graduate students who take undergraduate courses as part of their graduate program will be charged at the graduate tuition level for all courses. Students will receive refunds for courses dropped from their schedule according to the refund schedule in the section titled Tuition and Fees. The day of record for the drop is the day written notification is received by the registrar's office. The tuition and fee refund schedule is available in the Class Schedule or online